Is it worth chipping an integra ls b18b1?

DRIFTERJM

So I came across a sight the other day that has a performance chip for 2dr integras that promises up to 60 hp and higher revs, now I have heard about a lot of performance chips that are installed but don't do anything for the car. Is it worth the 70$ for this so called "promising performance chip" or is it simply a waste of time?

94RS

No fucks given.
:smackself: Waste of time... Like this thread.

Seriously, think about it. Honda claimed the LS engine at 140hp(?) when it was new... How would something that f***ing cheap give you a 43% increase in horsepower?

Nick_C78

86 cents per horsepower. My car should be a top fuel dragster.

Also, read the ad carefully. We promise gains up to 60. That is a play on words. "Up to" means a max of 60. They didn't say at least 60hp or even a gain of 60hp. Basically they are promising it won't give you more than 60 hp. In fact it could give 0hp and their ad would still not be a lie. To make it even funnier their chip could actually make you LOSE power and their ad would still be true.

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hahahahahahha. I remember when I wondered the same thing. Good times.

Last edited:

Noneed2Hate

Chips are a sham and should be treated as such. There are tons of videos and hard data out on teh interwebs

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
and just because the chip will allow the engine to rev higher doesn't mean that's automatically a good thing. The stock redline is set where its set for a reason. 1. you can damage the engine if it isn't modified internally to be able to handle the extra revs. 2. Without interior modification, the engine isn't making more HP after stock redline anyway, so why rev that high?

DC2Williams

DC2 & FA5 Guy
Chippin away

Chipped my ls with all bolt-ons and maybe got.... 5hp gain. No limiter, throttle control at 5500 rpm and a few adjustments with the fuel control. That is all a basic solder to ecu chip will do.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
if you want to get gains with your header intake and exhaust set up i would dyno tune it. I think ive seen ls motors with bolt ons run 140whp.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Buy a $70 leaf blower and hook that up to your intake. People have done before and after dyno runs and showed a gain of 20 whp.
Your car might not start up again but +20 whp dood.

DRIFTERJM

Ok for everyone that thinks I'm mentally disabled for asking about a performance chip let me rephrase the entire question: when I say performance chip I mean actually sending in your cars ecu to a company who then adjust certain things in it and send it to you back. I'm not talking about that plastic box over a resistor bullshit, resistors don't do a single thing to your car. so basically I'm asking is it possible to chip your ecu to make you car rev to higher rpms?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
dyno tune it. Dont just get a crome basemap. What you want is half of the puzzle. they chip it and put something thats close enough on your chip, then you should dyno tune it for your specific motor.

Nick_C78

Regardless if they reflash your stock ecu. You will not see 60hp and raising the rev limiter doesn't give more power. It just allows you to blow your motor.