ITR Starting Issues Once Again

drevans_satx

Dylan
Hmm. Do you by any chance get a check engine light on when it doesn't start? Like if you hold down the key to start it(or button). And how long do you hold it there to see if something triggers and it starts?

I used to have to have to hold my key down forever for it to register and then it would start. Sometimes it just wouldn't start(got to be annoying and started happening probably 50% of the time) much like what you are saying. When it didn't start the CEL would click on. However when I turned the car off the CEL would vanish. I was finally able to read the code one day and it was the Top Dead Center Sensor in the dizzy. Here is the kicker, I ended up replacing the relay for my viper alarm on a hunch, then shortly after I rebuilt my motor...lol. The thing is though I never changed the dizzy or the TDC sensor in the dizzy and yet the problem went away and has been gone for well over a year now. Fires up instantly, every time, no delay. So I have no idea what exactly fixed it, but the only thing I replaced that was ignition related was that relay. I also cleaned all my grounds, plugs and such when I did my rebuild.
You got it nail on the head. When it doesn't start sometimes I just leave my key in continuing to attempt to start it and the Check engine light pops on. Yet once it starts or I click off the car its gone.
All my grounds are clean, I know this because I wash, vacuum and engine detail my car every week...
So what relay was it? at this point I'm gonna go on a shopping spree to fix this damn problem.
My car also has an alarm as well, an Autopage alarm. Maybe you and I have the same problem lol.

gugiey

That was my first thought after I replaced my starter. I'll have to look into it today.
I'm gonna guess your neutral safety switch is not working properly .

I would get under the dash and push it with your finger and try and start it.

Nick_C78

You got it nail on the head. When it doesn't start sometimes I just leave my key in continuing to attempt to start it and the Check engine light pops on. Yet once it starts or I click off the car its gone.
All my grounds are clean, I know this because I wash, vacuum and engine detail my car every week...
So what relay was it? at this point I'm gonna go on a shopping spree to fix this damn problem.
My car also has an alarm as well, an Autopage alarm. Maybe you and I have the same problem lol.
The relay was wired in with the alarm wiring under my dash on the drivers side. Have you tried reading the code yet? I am very curious to see if it is the TDC sensor as well.

drevans_satx

Dylan
The relay was wired in with the alarm wiring under my dash on the drivers side. Have you tried reading the code yet? I am very curious to see if it is the TDC sensor as well.
Well it's converted to obd1 so my easy mode code reader doesn't work. I'll have to look up the way to get the codes for obd1

Nick_C78

You put a wire or paper clip in to the code plug and count the cel blinks. Long blinks are 10's short blinks are singles. Like long...long...short...short...short is 23.

drevans_satx

Dylan
You put a wire or paper clip in to the code plug and count the cel blinks. Long blinks are 10's short blinks are singles. Like long...long...short...short...short is 23.
I got 8 short blinks. then pause then 8 short blinks. So either my code is 888888 or 8 lol which guess what, is the god damn TDC sensor!

Nick_C78

Mine was easy to find. Right under that panel thats below my steering column. Zip tied right next to the fuses. Hopefully that works. If not then try swapping dizzy(TDC is inside the distributor) with someone and see if the problem goes away. If so then its the dizzy, if not then its something else obviously. lol

drevans_satx

Dylan
Yeah nemesisCBR mentioned changing the dist. amd like the lazy a** I am, I didn't do it....
The car started fine the 2 times I went to drive it today so I'm not really sure wtf its doing now lol.

Nick_C78

Mine used to be bad when I had this issue too. One time I went a week with no issues and then it came back in full force. Usually always happened once a day though. At least. And 95% of the time only happened on cold starts, after its warmed up it fired right up, although some rare times it would do it when its warm too.

drevans_satx

Dylan
Mine used to be bad when I had this issue too. One time I went a week with no issues and then it came back in full force. Usually always happened once a day though. At least. And 95% of the time only happened on cold starts, after its warmed up it fired right up, although some rare times it would do it when its warm too.
Did you own my car in a past life?!? You just summed up my issue 100%!
Now next thing. Did you fix it? what did you do? and I mean list everything. Relay, dizzy, anything you replaced.