light performance increase

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Long time reader, first time thread starter

So I have a 90 rs, 145k, good starting platform, I'm looking for a simple and cost effective way to push around 170-180hp. I'd like too start by saying I'm not going vtec, I've been that route on my last teg, I'm also looking to stay away from boost. I no beef with vtec or boost, just not in my plans for this car. So what bolt on things would help me with this? Besides the usual intake, header, exhaust stuff. I've got a Guy that does ecu's, cost is not an issue, I've got money (uncle sam is giving me $$$). I currently have the b18a1 and it's going to stay that way :)

hgocasca

level 77 troll
And I already know someone is going to say something about me contradicting myself by saying I want to be cost effective but that money isn't an issue. I just mean that I have money, but I'd like to have a little left over for the interior and paint. Why spend more if it's not necessary?

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Any specific cams? A link is always welcome if it's easier than explaining

mirrorimg

Are you looking for 180whp or 180bhp?
This. Your answer to this statement will determine whether you go forced induction, or spend a lot of money for less-than-gratifying results.

Edit: I see you dont want to turbocharge the car. If you are staying with the non-vtec motor, you are looking at a complete build, bottom up. Pistons, cams, valvetrain, intake manifold, header as well as any odds and ends. You will be using premium fuel as well, because to make that much power on an N/A (with a poor flowing B series head) you will have a fairly high compression ratio.

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i assume you want 180whp. Either a Type R motor swap, or a turbo will yeild those results a b18a build with NA parts will not yeild the power you want

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Well I would love 180 whp, but that's going to start a large debate that I don't wanna get into. So as close to it as possible without going vtec or boost. Any nonvtec and nonboost input greatly appreciated, not trying to be rude, but I know what I want and those things aren't it. N
Thanks in advance, I know it's possible, I just want some different ideas on how other people have/would obtain my desired results :)

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Jason (mirrorimg) will say its a dumb idea because its extremely hard to get the power. I think he was stuck around 150whp with his LS build

You will need the following IMO

ARP rod bolts
ARP head studs
ACL bearings
Balanced crank
p30 pistsons
P9r head
skunk2 pro intake manifold
70mm intake arm
65+mm tb
370cc injectors
hondata s100
crower dual valve springs
crower retainers
crower valves
crower 403 or 404 cams
crower cam gears

mirrorimg

Yea, she got about 150 whp with my build, but that was with no cam degreeing. Theres still some tuning left in my motor to squeeze out some power, but not another 40whp...

My build may net 165-170 whp when it gets re-tuned. I can point you in the direction of my build thread so you can see my parts. They resemble much of what that list is above me.

Dylan wrote P9R, but he meant P8R.

Last edited:

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Thank you very much. Everyone's opinions are very helpful, I'm just glad nobody said anything stupid about stickers

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Now let's say I do all the things listed above. Boost may be in the far future, will I retain all those things too? Besides the tune, and probably getting Turbo cams and injectors, and a walbro 255