Lookin to get into autocross.

slacker

Slackin since '88
So I think I want to start getting into autocross, is there a website for listings of when and where the events are locally for me? Also, any "need to knows" I should know about?

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Well, SCCA probably does autocross in your area. Just get nice tires and practice your smoothness. Don't jerk the car in and out of turns and practice your throttle & downshifting techniques. And get a helmet. Besides that, don't throw too many mods on your car right away because you might get classed in a rank that's too difficult for a beginner.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Well you'll have to look up what class you'll be in with those mods and see if it's too competitive or not, but otherwise goodluck! It's always awesome to see a CI getting into competitive motorsports. You'll have a lot of fun :thumbs up

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
you will most likely be running in the gs stock class. all you really need is a good set of tires, and a moderate suspension set up. make sure your car isnt dumped, you need all the shock travel you can get. And on power courses where there arent many tight corners the ls tranny will be good to just stay in 2nd for your first few times. if you get a shorter one it would be better to learn how to heel toe between 3rd and 2nd., i have a little auto x experience so let me know

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
coilovers are cool but im assuming your car in your sig is yours. you need to raise it imo like .5-1"just to get the most out of the suspension

konerri

i guest i am one of the guys on here with the most AutoX seat time. If your car is not 1000 percent stock. yes, i said 1000 percent. You'll must likely end up in Street Tour(ST) class or STS. In stock classes, you can only have a cat back exhaus(or run open cat back), different intake filter element(the piece you change in and out), after market shocks but still must use OEM springs and OEM shock top mount. Rims/Wheels must be OEM spec dimensions and only have like 6mm difference in offset. Basically event thing else must still be there and can not be changed out.

So if you have an intake other then stock(Aem, etc) you are not stock. If you have ITR OEM suspension on your car, you are not stock. You can have ITR shocks and still be legal.

shoot up more questions if you need some more information.

slacker

Slackin since '88
Well I have a header, intake, exhaust, and coil overs so I'm def going to be ST class I suppose lol. Whats that mean anyway? I'll just be going up against tougher competition?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
potentially yes. They group you up by similar cars so its not like you will be running evo x's out there. and konerri has the most seat time for auto x out of everyone here :thumbs up

slacker

Slackin since '88
Well I just got the SCCA thing in the mail with all the details, im going to go through that now

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i go through the just for fun clubs, since thats what im doing it for. i run in what ever class i want to basically.

konerri

Well I have a header, intake, exhaust, and coil overs so I'm def going to be ST class I suppose lol. Whats that mean anyway? I'll just be going up against tougher competition?
i haven't ran in ST or STS class this year(rules change from year to year). But from two years ago when i ran my integra in STS, you can do anything you want for power as long as you don't do anything behind the throttle body and before the exhaust headers. So basically, no forced induction and not internal work. You can have any type of suspension you want as long as it still works in the same manner as your stock. i think the major differences between the ST, STS and STU are wheel restrictions and limited slip differentials(lsd). No carbon fiber anything in that class. Can not run stripped, must still have seats. Off this the street touring classes so ONLY STREET TIRES ARE ALLOWED with treadwear of 180 or higher. NO NItto NT01. The best tires this year for the Street Touring are the Dunlop Z1 Star Specs.

Above all just try to have a lot of run your first time out because you won't even come close to average driver there. Everything time you go out, you'll get better. After a while you'll realize all the wront things you've bought and all the things you need. things will go from buying new parts to buy newer better tires and more seat time. After about your 8th event, if you good, you start knocking on the doors of the pros times.

Just to give you a little feed back. I am currently on my 10th event since i ever started and now knocking on the doors of a professionals times. Last time i went out, i ran a 38.618 on flakin RT-625 while the professional was on Hoosier slick and he only beat me with a 37.923. usually slicks will give you an easy 1 second off your time.

Once you get to this point, you'll find yourself looking for sponsors.:thumbs up