looking for more power, what should i do next

nismodrifterx

im looking for more power out of my da, b18a1, i have cold air intake, headers, exhaust, fidanza flywheel, stage 2 crower cams, lightweight pulley. was thinking of doing ecu tuning but dont know about everthing thats envolved. any ideas

mirrorimg

You buy some Adjustable cam gears, take the car to a reputable tuning shop/tuner, and give him the car. He puts it on a dyno, adjusts your ignition and fuel maps. Its not something you can do on your own.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
im looking for more power out of my da, b18a1, i have cold air intake, headers, exhaust, fidanza flywheel, stage 2 crower cams, lightweight pulley. was thinking of doing ecu tuning but dont know about everthing thats envolved. any ideas
1. What kind of I/H/E do you have?
2. How big is your exhaust? (Piping diameter-wise)
3. What kind of clutch do you have?
4. Do you have adjustable cam gears to go along with your cams?
5. Lightweight pulleys are rubbish
6. www.hondata.com

emd513

lightweight flywheel. have it tuned, get rid of excess weight under the hood, find another head and have it ported and polished and get oversized valves put in. if you want more after that and dont have the money to do turbo put nitrous on.

j13

Keep It Clean
Would it be a good idea to put a B18b1 head? Isn't that head like 10hp gain?

More agresive N/A cams, adjustable cam gears, test pipe would be a good idea

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
1. What kind of I/H/E do you have?
2. How big is your exhaust? (Piping diameter-wise)
3. What kind of clutch do you have?
4. Do you have adjustable cam gears to go along with your cams?
5. Lightweight pulleys are rubbish
6. www.hondata.com
exhaust size with a stage 2 crower wont matter, 2.25-2.36" are at their limits around 190whp, the cam gears and a tune and civic si/b16 pistons with high comp valves will make the biggest difference as well as a GOOD header, like DC or Greddy as long as its CARB legal AKA 2.25" collector (carb legal headers dont require tuning or modifying your cat those are the only qualifications)

lightweight flywheel. have it tuned, get rid of excess weight under the hood, find another head and have it ported and polished and get oversized valves put in. if you want more after that and dont have the money to do turbo put nitrous on.
Oversized valves will only be good if the OP decides not to use a high comp piston.

mirrorimg

The mark in HP between the B18B1 and A1 motors are in ECU changes and one of the cams are slightly different.

Better flow can be had by purchasing an imported P8R cylinder head off of a Honda Orthia. It has 33mm intake valves (where as I think "oversized" non-vtec valves are about 31mm?). The head flows similarly to a VTEC head.

nismodrifterx

im running a ebay cold air intake with a summit air filter,hedman chikara headers, and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, magnaflow muffler,no cat, exedy oem clutch, and the integra type r pulley,fidanza lightweight flywheel

do the cam gears really make a difference, my local shop wants 550 for a dyno tune, seems like i could buy a do it yourself tuning setup for that price

im also maxed out on the suspension, got the eibach pro kit, tokico shocks, energy suspension master bushing kit, suspension techniques front and rear sway bar, rays wheels and some potenzas

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
im running a ebay cold air intake with a summit air filter,hedman chikara headers, and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, magnaflow muffler,no cat, exedy oem clutch, and the integra type r pulley

do the cam gears really make a difference, my local shop wants 550 for a dyno tune, seems like i could buy a do it yourself tuning setup for that price
your cams need to be degreed in to make maximum power, its not something you can do your first time, 550 is the going rate for Dyno Tuning unless your in CA, we spend about 300 but that 550 may include a chip and soddering so the prices may be the same with parts and labor, in nor cal going rate is 150/hr for ONLY dyno tune no chip. and your exhaust is too big

mirrorimg

Dylan is right. You need to put you car on a Dynomometer (which you effectively rent out) as well as renting the tuner's services to map your ECU to YOUR CAR.

You can do it yourself if you want, and rent the Dyno on your own, but you will still need:

-soldering experience and the hardware to chip your ECU, (whether it be a burnable chip or Hondata)
-Wideband O2 sensor to measure the A/F ratio of the car
-knowledge on how to degree cams in
-knowledge on how to modify fuel maps for the most reliability and power

Im sure Im leaving some things out, but it is better to pay someone else to do this instead of trying yourself and end up spending more in the long run. If you really want to get into tuning cars (in terms of ECU mapping, ignition/fuel maps), then you may as well start now.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Dylan is right. You need to put you car on a Dynomometer (which you effectively rent out) as well as renting the tuner's services to map your ECU to YOUR CAR.

You can do it yourself if you want, and rent the Dyno on your own, but you will still need:

-soldering experience and the hardware to chip your ECU, (whether it be a burnable chip or Hondata)
-Wideband O2 sensor to measure the A/F ratio of the car
-knowledge on how to degree cams in
-knowledge on how to modify fuel maps for the most reliability and power

Im sure Im leaving some things out, but it is better to pay someone else to do this instead of trying yourself and end up spending more in the long run. If you really want to get into tuning cars (in terms of ECU mapping, ignition/fuel maps), then you may as well start now.
if you were to go this route, i suggest finding a long strip of road where you can top out 4th gear and not get arrested and use Hondata s300 as you can easily street tune and not use a dyno

nismodrifterx

thanks fellas, probly wont be getting a dyno tune for a while due to price but should be able to get a chipped ecu in a couple of paychecks

mirrorimg

Thats what we are trying to get across to you. a Pre-chipped ECU is a BASEMAP. Which is something you put on an ECU in the SHORT interim until you get a tune. Pretty much only supposed to be from you finishing a build one day, and limping over to the tuner the next.

You need to get the ECU tuned to your car, as every car is different.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
as the mapped ecu may be mapped to your car like pharable does, but if they dont have a build like yours they guesstimate what settings you have, meaning they may change the cam gear settings on the cams while yours are at 0/0 theirs may be at -1/+3 in which event i believe you will run rich