looking for more power, what should i do next

nismodrifterx

i understand that a DYNO tune is the best, but not everyone has that kind of cash to throw around,
a reputable tuner should be able create a basemap that will get get me a little more power based off what they've done in the past, and its running rich as hell now

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
a reputable tuner can only base map off of an educated guess unless hes done a set up similar to yours before. hell he may base it off of a b20 vtec for all you know

DumaDa9

To be honest, im surprised you'd even put a stage 2 cam in your motor without getting the proper valve springs and retainers and leaving it untuned. Right now tuning would be your best bet, if you dont have the money for tuning then dont expect to make power. Gotta pay to play

Last edited:

nismodrifterx

i did do the crower valve springs and retainers, you have to when you do the cams

mirrorimg

And in order to extract the most power out of them, you need some adjustable cam gears and a tune.

Why would you throw $700 on Cams, Springs, and Retainers, plus the cost to get the springs installed (Unless you have a valve spring compressor), and not get some cam gears ($150) and a tune ($300-$400)?

It seems like you are paying, just didnt plan anything out.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i would put high comp pistons and valves in to get the most power with a intake manifold... but thats just me and if i was on a budget i would ATLEAST tune on Hondata s300 unless you have a chip burner

nismodrifterx

Only paid 520 for the cams, springs and retainers, and installed all myself, having it installed by a shop would have probly cost over a grand, and that's just installation, if I would had a shop do those three things id probly up over 2 grand, I don't know about you but if I had that kind of cash I would have bought bmw not honda. Your right generaly I don't have plan on what I'm going to next and wind up spending more than I should, but this is the reason I ask the question. I see people make junk fast all the time and they don't have a dyno tune.

DumaDa9

this may not add power, but if you want to go faster, get a short geared trans if you cant afford tuning, but honestly, just about all of the options we can tell you to make your car quicker are going to be around the same price as tuning or more. But a b16 transmission on your car would make a big difference

heritage36

DumaDa9 is right, most people neglect the trans when they do stuff like this. I have heard people say that a B16 trans on a LS motor makes a big difference and makes it a lot more fun. Getting an LSD and different final drive makes a big difference too.

DumaDa9

yup, i was lucky enough to come across a jdm b16 lsd cable transmission, slapped that onto a b20 motor and so far its been alot of fun

mirrorimg

You may not get a dyno tune, but a street tune is better than nothing. When you increase the amount of air you are pulling in like you are with those cams, you need to remap the fuel tables so you dont run lean and detonate. Its just one of the things you do when you build a motor.

Im not saying you have to do it, but for a motor to be healthy and last a long life, its something you save up and do.

emd513

if your needing more fule pressure now go pick up a adjustable fpr. but that is not going to keep you from doing what these guys said. if you have a lap top pick up which ever setup it is that you can hook it to and go threw and mark all your setting that are on there now on some paper, then play with those settings. the worse you could do is end up starting over with the settings you have now. friend of mine is doing while he drives the car every day on a turbo 4 cycl. mustang. so far it has worked out for him pretty nice. he finally got it to 18 lbs with out detonating. but dude there is no way your going to get away from tunning your car if your wanting more power that will last. it is practically point less not to. think of it this way, if you tune it or have some one do it either way whos to say you want pick 50+ whp. hell if you find some one that knows tricks to it i bet you could get alot more than that. also there are some ecus out there that will let you take that motor well above redline, friend has one in his eg mighty mouse motor that will let him shift it 9000, and it is freaking sweet.

BlackDC2

VTEC MANIAC!
reving high is not always healthy if your stock internals still there, burning compression and oil rings, bending rods, losing timing is the risk.... if you've uprated conrods, pistons, and setup for better oiling , then yes you're good to go rev-sky high, otherwise stick to factory rev limiter, or even bring it a bit down if you tune your engine with stock internals and adding cams, upgrading valvetrain, and changing timing... its all stands up to how much money you're about to spend...

myself duno will I go SC or N/A with all cams and other stuff mods...

I know I was out of topic abit, and this thread is rust old but still its my input :)

tastyda

also noone mentioned it, but if you have big wheels it will slow you up. but definitely get it tuned its worth it.or shave the head, or get high compression pistons etc.