Looking for more power

BugJuice

This is the scoop. I have a 1997 integra rs with 136k miles on it and i am looking for some more power. (Maybe somewhere around 200hp range as a goal) It is my first car so i want to keep it reliable to some point. I dont make that much in money wise but i would like to add some more power to the car. So far the only engine wise modifications i have is an aem short ram air intake. I didn't want to put other parts on like headers,exhaust and intake manifold just in case they do not fit. I was thinking either ls/vtec, turbo the b18, or doing an engine swap. The b20engine maybe. What do you guys think?

mjones73

Boosting it would give you the easiest bang for your buck as long as the motor is healthy and you have it tuned properly.

Going LS/VTEC won't get you 200hp, maybe close to it if you sink a lot of parts and money into the head and motor and set it up just right and it won't be very good for a daily driver.

Robbdance

Straight Pipes
The could be the same, one could be better than the other, it all depends on how much money you want to spend man.
You can put together a nice turbo setup for a reasonable price, which could be better than picking up a B20 and swapping it in.
Again, it all depends on how much money (and time!) you want to put into it. They're both good options.

Robbdance

Straight Pipes
It all depends man, the price I get could be a lot different from the price you get. There's tons of places you can look, google is a great start to get a general idea. There's people that run eBay turbo kits, and although they're not highly recommended, they can make decent power and are quite cheap.. you get what you pay for though, they could last a solid amount of time, and they could go fairly quickly, all depending on if it's properly set up, tuned, maintained, all that shit.

I honestly have no clue what a B20 swap is worth, again, prices will vary depending on where you go.
I would suggest going around to local shops and talking with the people there, they could help you out with ideas, pricing to buy the stuff, install it, all that. That and you'll make some good friends along the way, if you stick to one shop they get to know you and give you good pricing after you spend a bit with them.

The place I usually go for my parts I get good deals because they got to know me and I spent some money with them, and they like me.

mjones73

Check the Forced Induction section of the forum.

95GSR21

I know i am new here but not new to cars.. to OP, you sound like you don't know too much about turbo setups; before considering this, you might want to research a bit, if this is the route you choose to go, then go for it, but as someone said before me, you get what you pay for. Remember, turbo is an ongoing investment and it takes work to maintain it and keep it running correctly. Many kids now-a-days get a turbo setup beat the shit out of it and in a couple of weeks blow engines. If i were you I would start with a good quality exhaust, followed by a nice header. Then decide what you want to do from there. Also the money you will pay for a swap, you might as well put the money into your current engine, maybe rebuild it, and turbo it after you research it. Don't just do things blindly, because in the end it'll bite you in the ass. Just my 2 cents and good luck in whatever you decide man!

mjones73

Putting a nice exhaust and a header on would be a waste of money if the OP is ultimately going to turbo it because they would both need to be replaced. I'd suggest the OP settle on a route then spend personally.

95GSR21

Putting a nice exhaust and a header on would be a waste of money if the OP is ultimately going to turbo it because they would both need to be replaced. I'd suggest the OP settle on a route then spend personally.
yeah was thinking that after I posted..but he may be happy with just intake, exhaust, and header..maybe lol

BugJuice

i dont understand what op is? Yes, that is correct i dont know much about turbos. Why would i have to replace the headers and exhaust if i go turbo?

96GSRteg

Tyler
op = original poster (you in this case).

if you dont know why those things would need to be changed, you need to do a lot of research of how turbo setups work and what they are.

BugJuice

So far it looks like a lot of people are suggesting the turbo b18 route. What are some good places to research turbos for teggys, I want to keep it reliable, and not the search button. Its so bland. Would there be another better route that i am not thinking of?

95GSR21

So far it looks like a lot of people are suggesting the turbo b18 route. What are some good places to research turbos for teggys, I want to keep it reliable, and not the search button. Its so bland. Would there be another better route that i am not thinking of?
best place to get turbo info on the integra is by using the search button here, or check around on other integra forums. You should really read a lot into the subject before jumping right into the idea. Not to mention the cash you need to get a turbo plus installation plus tuning...its a lot bro