~ Lowering alignment problem's : Adivce needed ~

Peeples

Lowered the car back in January. Started driving in march, Knew I needed an alignment.

Checked tires Sunday and the insides were almost gone, Switched Back to Front and got an alignment today.

~ B/C it was lowered there was no OEM camber adjustment, he corrected toe Afor best possible wear but said I would need a (Chamber or Camber) kit OR Joint Balls (please correct that) for the front and a aftermarket sway bar for the back.

So what a have you CI members done or would do in my case? (Stats below)

~Camber Front Left~.................................................~ Toe Front Left~
Before & After: -2.3 & -2.3............................................ -.28 to .18
Specified Range: -1.2 to .8...............................................08 to .08

~Camber Front Right~...........................................~ Toe Front Right~
Before & After: -2.3 & -2.3.........................................-.63 to .20
Specified Range: -1.2 to .8............................................-.8 to .8

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i would leave it cambered
get a camber kit if you want. But ball joints dont help with the camber, just bump steer

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
camber does not effect tire wear as nearly as bad as people think. Toe it the main culprit. Camber will hardly wear your tires if the toe is correct.

Rx7driver4Life

^X2
I had my tires aligned because they where being eaten like nobody's business it was the toe that was killing them not the camber.

SLOW94

Yup toe affects more because it drags the tire basicly. On my lowrider my camber never mattered because there was no point since my ride height was always diff but with the toe being off i went through sets of tires every 2mnths fixed toe lasted 3 mnths lol

72Spitfire

I disagree. Toe in WILL wear your tires rapidly as they are constantly scrubbing, but it will be a semi even wear across the tire. The inside tire wear is most certainly caused by negative camber which you have. The contact patch is on the inside when camber is aggressively negative...hence the bald inside. Find a camber kit for it. Blox makes an inexpensive rear unit. I like the Skunk2 front kit as its 5 degrees adjustable.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Really? Ive had my Falkens on for way past their expected life, and ive tracked them have the weirdest camber settings ever and my tires seem to be holding up fine.

Rx7driver4Life

My tires before the alignment went down to the poly thread on the inner part of the tire only. the flat section looked like new and all that was off was my toe setting. my car is cambered a bit but the alignment guy told me at the rate the tire wears at this camber does not justify the cost of camber kits.

mirrorimg

I disagree. Toe in WILL wear your tires rapidly as they are constantly scrubbing, but it will be a semi even wear across the tire. The inside tire wear is most certainly caused by negative camber which you have. The contact patch is on the inside when camber is aggressively negative...hence the bald inside. Find a camber kit for it. Blox makes an inexpensive rear unit. I like the Skunk2 front kit as its 5 degrees adjustable.
But we are coupling both camber and toe. Yes, toe will evenly wear a tire rapidly, but it will only be even if the camber is zero. Add any camber, and the wear will be more focused at the inner portion of the tire, where more pressure is being applied.

seahtech

Toe is the MAIN wearing angle but Camber is a also a secondary wear angle. Is it as bad? No but it does effect it. For track cars the toe will never be set "perfectly" due to cornering needs so their tires will wear more. For street cars if you dont want to wear tires quickly and dont have camber kits then "set your toe and go" Yours tires will last awhile but the Camber will wear them. Just rotate them around if not directional and it will help (should rotate them regardless).

Caster is NOT a tire wearing angle.

Hmm.... I plan to lower my car sometime, what is toe? I am a noob. QQ
Toe is the relationship of the tire facing inwards or outwards for the centerline axis. If your looked straight down on the tire and the front of it is facing inwards you have 'toe in' and vice versa for toe out.

These illustrations may help...

Peeples

i would leave it cambered
get a camber kit if you want. But ball joints dont help with the camber, just bump steer
Yea that guy had no clue what he was talking about... Its sad when he's a full time mech.

Camber would affect tire wear in the since the weight will be on the inside or outside of the tires causing them to wear... BUT like you said toe drags the car which is why my tires are bold after 3 months... Thanks for your comment ( I know you know what your talking about, seen you comments through out CI )

Peeples

Do they make a front end camber kit? I know they're reliable and make good products so I dont feel the need to pay the price for name brand skunk 2.

Thanks for the info :D