LS Timing belt and water bump on GSR motor?

RealGains

Is it OK to put an LS timing belt and water pump on a GS R motor? Just wondering because I was once told that LS belt is better because its smaller than the GS R and because of that your car will accelerate faster. Is this true? Pros and cons? I did this to my GS R stock motor and after i took it to the race track, I check under the hood and the inner side of the timing belt closer to the engine is already shredded.(note: LS timing belt is new, GSR not driven daily). Is it the LS timing belt or is itsomething else causing the problem?

Pictures of my timing belt

Last edited:

DeAngebro

Foster
Why would you put an engine specific part on the wrong engine? If its an ls timing belt, it's for an ls.

cody1018

There is a difference, the water pump on a Ls has less blades that move the coolant, As for the belt I have no idea. But With the Gsr it has more blades to move more coolant through the engine because they can run at a faster revolution than an LS. So not a good choice overall on that

96LSteg

Jemel
^^GSR water pump has more teeth also that why you have use the GSR timing belt with it. Best advice is to stick with the proper part. LS water pump would be a downgrade.

Sent from your mom's room using Tapatalk

96LSteg

Jemel
And if I'm not mistaken the water pump has nothing to do with acceleration...just cooling of the engine

Kyle

Use the GSR timing belt and water pump. Honda designed them differently for a reason compared to the LS ones.

cody1018

Exactly... ^^^ Stick to parts made for the engine there is a reason why its made specifiaclly to that engine

96LSteg

Jemel
I know for a fact that the GSR pump has more teeth than the LS water pump on the gear that the timing belt is put on...

RealGains

Thanks for the replies guys, I did think about changing it back to GSR but not sure whats causing the LS timing belt to get shredded in just a day. I bought this car 2 weeks ago and the water pump and timing belt needed to be replace so I don't know if something else is causing it.

Here is a picture of my timing belt:

96LSteg

Jemel
You should check and make sure nothing fell down in there that could be chewing the belt up.

gugiey

Do you think if I change it back to a GSR it will have the same result?
I would suggest changing the timing belt tensioner. And the belt to a Gsr belt .

check the belt before you take it off . Theres a reason something is ruining your belt.