LS/VTEC All-motor

Mugeismo

I may just get say fuck it and build the LS. Keep it original and just improve it. It'll never get OMGTHEPOWAH! But it'll still be fun to drive.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
supposedly the automatic for gsr is more robust and shorter geared. I could never find anything solid on it. But, i would find an auto P28 ecu from a junk yard and get that chipped if you can.

as for building an LS, i think swapping in a B20 from a crv with a header, intake and exhaust with the pr8 head would be better. torque for days. IIRC it puts down 140wh tuned.

Mugeismo

Thanks for the info. I'll keep searching and see if I can find anything definitive. Luckily all engine work is planned for late 2016 or early 2017. So there's still time to decide. Right now I have to focus on repairing the body and getting the new front end on.

One idea that has been floated around was a J32A2 swap. They come predominantly with automatics. They're roughly the same price or lower than a JDM GS-R, and their stock output is roughly at my max threshold for comfort level. Haven't run the numbers yet though. Gotta figure in a small bit of extra for fabrication.

94RS

No fucks given.
One of the problems with the J swap (besides the cost) is that you have to either cut a huge hole in your hood, or sacrifice ground clearance and mount it low enough for the hood to close.

HMO sells the P8R spec B20 that Samurai is talking about for 575+ shipping. So say around 700ish.

Mugeismo

One of the problems with the J swap (besides the cost) is that you have to either cut a huge hole in your hood, or sacrifice ground clearance and mount it low enough for the hood to close.

HMO sells the P8R spec B20 that Samurai is talking about for 575+ shipping. So say around 700ish.
Cutting a hole in the hood doesn't bother me as much as it should. Had to do it before with a friend's Z32 build. It's not ideal, but it can be done right.

That B20 is pretty tempting. I'll keep that in mind. Gonna go look at a few Odyssey's at the junkyard nearby. If I can pull a J35 for dirt cheap it may be the way to go. My budget for all things motor build/swap is $5k.

Mugeismo

I wouldnt do a j swap as a DD
Not my DD. My DD is my Frontier (the big blue thing in my pictures). This is strictly my long-term project car. Although I do put a lot of miles on the Integra because it's such a 180 experience from my truck.

phatintegra

Banned
I did posted the ECU and trans information about the SIR-G. Somewhere on another post on this site. Search for LS/VTEC or SIR-G.

The problem with J motors the hood need to be cut due to the motor and you may need to mark up axles, etc. to much custom work just like the K motor. I would just keep a B motor since it drop in.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I did posted the ECU and trans information about the SIR-G. Somewhere on another post on this site. Search for LS/VTEC or SIR-G.

The problem with J motors the hood need to be cut due to the motor and you may need to mark up axles, etc. to much custom work just like the K motor. I would just keep a B motor since it drop in.
what custom work needs to be done to the k besides removing a mount?

Mugeismo

what custom work needs to be done to the k besides removing a mount?
My understanding is that a J swap is roughly similar to a K swap.

Engine
Transmission
Mounts
Axles
Harness
ECU
Header
Radiator

The hood cutting is dependent on which series of Hasport mount I go with.

94RS

No fucks given.
With those Hasport mounts, you either have the one where you have to cut a hole in the hood/have no hood, or the one that gives you shit for ground clearance.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
yup as stated before. K pans will drop some, but not as much as the J. J swaps to me are meh. too much torque steer. I would rather do a K or build a B with a beefed up auto.

Mugeismo

yup as stated before. K pans will drop some, but not as much as the J. J swaps to me are meh. too much torque steer. I would rather do a K or build a B with a beefed up auto.
Torque steer is a bitch. Dealt with that for years in my V6 Nissans. At least with the DC I can stiffen the hell out of the front end, but it will still be there to some degree.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
so what happens when youre going down the freeway and you rip the oil pan open because the pan is too low? Or are you keeping the car stock height?