Ls/vtec

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
You may wonder why I made an LS/VTEC post in the lounge, well here goes on k624ash's build up thread here there starts a little debate between iphondatek and k624ash. This results in k624ash posting this link saying that Mr. Michael Delaney has some great info on why the LS/VTEC is crap in his opinion. Now I read thru his posts figuring he will make some good points but then I started laughing. I made a post back in the thread but it bothered me soo much and I am soo bored that i've decided to make a thread on it. Now I don't know where LS/VTEC was created like Michael Delaney does but i'm sure I could have googled it and figured it out. What got me was the statements Mr. Delaney was making, so I would like to go over them and point out which are bullshit and which are true.

Mr Delaney goes into how LS/VTEC does not make more power than a B18C1. Yes they will probablly make about the same amount of power BUT LS/VTEC will make more power sooner and I know that when I drive I would rather have more power at 4-5k rpms then having more power at 9k rpms. See he goes into this whole stock vs. stock comparison and states that a B18C1 will make more power at 9k rpms, too bad you can't rev a stock B18C1 to 9k rpms. Sorry Mr. Delaney.

He also goes into rod ratio, what he's saying is that you can't rev a LS/VTEC motor as high as a B18C1, well we all should know this by now. BIG DEAL, You make more power earlier than a B18C1 but maxes out sooner. So you make the power of a B18C1 at 7200rpm with LS/VTEC instead of waiting until 8500 rpms, somehow that doesn't seem that bad. More Torque and More Horsepower Sooner and you don't need to rev the living piss out of it. Why does the LS/VTEC make more power sooner, well it makes more torque because your getting about an extra 40cc more of displacement, also with the rod ratio, as he stated your moving the powerband down. Well comparing it to a B18C1 your moving it down, but if you've been driving a LS motor like most people that do LS/VTEC are you are keeping it where it is just getting more power. See what Mr. Delaney doesn't realize is that people don't get rid of their B18C1s for an LS/VTEC motor, they change their LS motors in LS/VTEC motors.

So moving on, Mr. Delaney now goes in to compression ratios, yes if you leave the pistons alone you get a little higher compression with the B18C, he states that because of this your overcamming the LS/VTEC motor, bullshit, that little compression will not make a difference in overcamming your engine, thats like saying by putting anything better than stock cams in your gsr your going to lose power due to overcamming the engine. Your not putting stage 3 cams in, your using stock GSR cams, because remember this is stock vs. stock.

He once again goes into reving higher overtime but as everyone once again already knows you don't rev a stock LS/VTEC engine as high as you would a B18C1. Now i'm not going into the Hype and i've built both LS/VTEC engines and B18c1s and I would prefer a B18C1 over a LS/VTEC but your comparing a motor that I can put together for around 1500 using all stock parts, to a motor that costs around 3-4gs.

But what really got me was the last post, where he goes into how unreliable LS/VTEC is. I would like to say that it is only as unreliable as you treat it. It was not meant to rev to 8-9 grand just like a B18C1 isn't meant to rev to 10 grand. He makes it seem like installing new dowels and ONE oil line is so much work, if that's the case maybe Mr. Delaney shouldn't be tuning cars. He also mentions oil squirters, a thing that just about every tuner I know takes out when building a motor because they are useless, they were just added insurance for Honda, something to ease their minds when making these motors. Same as the block girdle, another pointless design that unless your reving over 10k really serves no use in almost every builders eyes. Then he points out the rods once again, FOR THE LAST DAMN TIME, the only reason a stock LS/VTEC will have rod problems is from people over reving the motor, WHICH WILL BE THE CASE FOR ANY MOTOR. THEY ARE NOT MEANT TO REV AS HIGH AS A GSR. So if you break it it's your own damn fault. Its like comparing a b16 to a b18c and saying the b16 is better because it can last longer reving higher, thats because it was made to.

But my favorite part is this; quote "oil leakage, head gasket failure, vacuum leaks, early compression loss, excessive wear of components...." Mr. Delaney. All these problems have been cured, oil leakage? from where, headgasket failure? Why because people assembled it wrong, or maybe they use the wrong headstuds:lol:. Early compression loss, bullshit. Oh and the best Vacuum leaks, how the hell are you going to have a vacuum leak from doing an LS/VTEC build. Because I didn't know you had vacuum lines that ran from the block. Oh and once again excessive wear. BULLSHIT, if anything a LS.VTEC motor will last longer if you don't over rev it. Why well the bottom end isn't going to wear any differently just becasue you put a different head on it. And the head isn't going to be reving as high, and it has way more oil supply then it would if it were on a stock B18C1 so really why would you have excessive wear unless you were OVERREVING IT.

I would just like to say Mr. Delaney is a horrible source of information if this is the kind of bullshit that is coming out of his mouth, and it's people like this that are feeding the new, young tuners, wrong information and giving them these misguided views that makes them look like fools when they regurgitate this information to someone who actually know what there talking about.

Also if this is the crap that goes on on Team Integra I can completely understand why people join our site.

Last edited:

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
wow aussie......calm down....

but kudos to you...i am glad that u just dont claim to understand something because you have done it, this clearly states that u have done much research in this.....i have 2 friends that have 30k plus lsvtec engines....reving both to 7600.

yes the c1 is a great motor, but imo, very much over rated.

and i hope u posted this same thread on team integra....if so...please link.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I'm calm I just wanted to once again get rid of these misconceptions that keep going on in our tuning world. The C1 is a great platform and if you put a LS/VTEC and c1 infront of me, i'll take the c1. It's a better platform to work with. But people build LS/VTECs becasue they're cheap, but there is nothing wrong with them. For the money they perform great. If you have an LS you can put a vtec head on correctly for under a 1g easy and make the same amount of power then a b18c1. Now what is wrong with that?

But no I havn't posted this on TI, knowing them they would probablly ban me:lol:

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
I'm calm I just wanted to once again get rid of these misconceptions that keep going on in our tuning world. The C1 is a great platform and if you put a LS/VTEC and c1 infront of me, i'll take the c1. It's a better platform to work with. But people build LS/VTECs becasue they're cheap, but there is nothing wrong with them. For the money they perform great. If you have an LS you can put a vtec head on correctly for under a 1g easy and make the same amount of power then a b18c1. Now what is wrong with that?

But no I havn't posted this on TI, knowing them they would probablly ban me:lol:
if u want me to ill post it....i dont care about being banned from there......that site sucks.

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
yeah fuck TI delany or whatever the fuck his name is, is a bitch. Nazi mods over there cant post shit that bad mouths them its just another HT over there. fuck them nukkas.

iphondatek

Honda tech
I wasn't meaning to start a debat, I was just wondering. One thing I just thought of is I havn't tried shit, really no matter how reiable I think my source is first hand is the best. Now Aussie you know we got off on a bad foot, but after being here for a little bit I have confidence you know your shit, and now I feel I have a better understanding of the LS Vtec and C1 comparison. Thanx.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I wasn't meaning to start a debat, I was just wondering. One thing I just thought of is I havn't tried shit, really no matter how reiable I think my source is first hand is the best. Now Aussie you know we got off on a bad foot, but after being here for a little bit I have confidence you know your shit, and now I feel I have a better understanding of the LS Vtec and C1 comparison. Thanx.
I didn't even remember, but i'm really not trying to compare the motors, I just want to clear up that LS/VTEC is not a bad motor.

RSunlimited

daily driven
ive have learned alot form you guys. my engine is hanging by a thread but not enough money for the b20 and hopefully vtec.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
ls/vtec is great if done right!
Keyword: if

It has only gotten a bad rep for people who try to build it cheap or half asked. It can be nice and powerful and reliable, but it is not a poor man's type R. Alot of people cheap out and build it to be a poor man's type R, which is why they end up being a poor man with a hole in the block or something.

The perfect motto for engines............
Do it right...............or do it twice

Aussie: I agree for the most part but there is a few things I could argue, although I don't care to go into depth about it. Would you remove a main cap girdle because it does nothing? It stabilizes, strenghtens and helps keep everyhting true in the south regions of the block. Girdles are no way to be frowned upon IMO. Additional strength above your goals is high on my list. It can be the difference of barely getting by, blowing up, or being built to withstand. It may not be absolutely necessary but the extra insurance is not a bad thing. Oil squirters also help cool the pistons to reduce the possibility of detonation on engines that love run lean and generally make more power on the leaner side of safe just like most N/A engines. If they are tuned with atleast datalogging and a person very familiar with their limits and capabilities it can be exploited well but one mistake at the limit will having you wishing for a girdle, block guard....etc. As for vaccuum leaks, bearing failure, headgasket failure and those type of things......that is in the hands of the builder and driver IMO. Over abuse will destroy any good engine and amatuer building or half asking it can cause the same when not even pushing that hard. I do agree with alot of what you are saying though. I just do NOT see LS/VTEC as a "cheap" alternative. You get what you pay for. Do it right and will last, throw something together and it's likely to throw something internally.

Last edited: