Mirrorimg's build thread

mirrorimg

Alright, so I should be working on homework, but I decided to jump on the motor. I do not have any assembly lube, so the big parts like putting the block back together is out. I can on the other hand put the components back onto the outside of the block suck as the water pump.

I have the water pump that came off my engine, and the pump that came off of my scrap motor. They have different impellers. One has larger fins, the other has smaller fins. Same amount of teeth on the gear. Should I use the larger impeller? or smaller impeller? I know the GSR and LS have different impellers leading me to believe one of them has been changed, though I dont know which is which. Im leaning to using the larger impeller, because it should move more coolant.

Came off my LS

Came off donor engine

Side by side

Last edited:

mirrorimg

I assume they are both OEM. the rusty as shit one is the one that came off my engine, then cleaner one off the donor.

Im re-using the water pump, but I guess I have to dish out some money for a new oil pump :roll:
My haynes said I can check the clearance with feeler gauges and if its within spec, stick with it. Just replace spring ang relief valve.

Im building a list of things i need to order from acura.

Timing belt
Tensioner/spring
dizzy cap/rotor
oil seals
crush washers, etc

omg, the tensioner is $60, wtf

Last edited:

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
replace the pump, seriously. If it fails, your risking alot more than just a belt and water pump. and Id go ahead and swap oil pumps too. They arent too expensive.

Your tensioner is cheap BTW. The SRT tensioner Im using on the 97 was $93

mirrorimg

Rockauto.com has your water pump for $31-$64
and they have 2 oil pumps. $109 & $198
I see oil pumps at 130 and 199. OEM is 139.

I can get a timing belt kit, With belt, water pump, and tensioner for 70. Seems like a good deal, though not OEM

OEM is like, 57 for belt, 60 for pump, 60 for tensioner.

mirrorimg

Ok I ordered another 350 worth of parts yesterday :shock: I think my total is up to abour 2,000 now. :lame:

Yesterday I ordered:

Timing belt kit: belt, water pump, tensioner
Oil pump
Dizzy cap/rotor
radiator hoses
Header-cat gasket
magnetic oil+trans bolt
clutch pilot bearing
new bolt/washer/nut for a torque mount.

mirrorimg

Bolted a few brackets onto the block, got some assembly lube, and installed the crank. Haven't torqued it down yet, but I will be getting a ring expanded and compressor to install the pistons this week.

Somehow I misplaced some bolts, probably because my garage is a huge mess right now. I may be running to Acura for odds and ends. Stay tuned for updates next weekend, I won't have much time due to school to get much done during the week.

Thanks Robbie and Dylan