Mirrorimg's build thread

mirrorimg

I figure I could rent one from advanced auto along with the expander, or ask my brother in law if he has one.

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
careful of the ones from a parts store, they are usually pretty beat. I went to sears and bought a new one for like $13

mirrorimg

When I went to harbor freight to get a breaker bar, the had a ring compressor, but it was for 50mm-60mm pistons. Mine are 42... so I didnt bother with it. It did look like it would have worked though.

I need to get myself a torque wrench too :shock: Last time I used one was in high school and it was the kind like this.

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
I hate those, if you had $$$$$ Id say go get the digital Snap on one. I have a 3/8 Kobalt one from Lowes. I paid like $74 for it. Great tool to own, youll use it more than you think

mirrorimg

I dont have any 3/8 in sockets, so I would need a reducer for it. I will probably get a 1/2 drive clicker wrench from sears

mirrorimg

For some reason I was thinking that 3/8 > 1/2. Apparently fractions > me.

I do have a 3/8 drive ratchet, but mostly 1/4 sockets with a few 3/8 sockets (reducer to get the 1/4 on). My main assortment of sockets are 1/2"

I can count the number of metric 3/8 sockets I have on one hand. 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm

mirrorimg

Got a shipment of parts in yesterday and today. Yesterday came my timing belt kit, along with dizzy cap and rotor.

This is what came today. Delray down in florida must love me.

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
lol moparpartsamerica.com. loves me. They are a dealer out in oregon. I had at least 15 different packages from them

mirrorimg

lol moparpartsamerica.com. loves me. They are a dealer out in oregon. I had at least 15 different packages from them
I wonder how long it will be before they realize im a loyal customer and offer me bigger discounts and free shwag? :)

More stuff done.

I got my torque wrench in the mail and picked up a ring compressor to knock out the things that were holding me back. I got the crank torqued down, Oil pump installed, pistons in and rod bolts torqued, Oil pan baffle and pickup installed, and the oil pan put on with a magnetic drain plug 8)

Flipped the sucker over and lubed up the head bolts and slid the headgasket and head on. I probably should have waited to lube up the threads, but I wasnt thinking. Wiped off the gasked and deck before the head went on. The head is just finger tight, I figured if I torqued it down I wouldnt have stopped for another couple hours, and it was 11:15 PM. Im happy with the progress, and I should have most everything done tomorrow. I just need to hunt down a replacement OEM crank pulley...

mirrorimg

:oops:

Ya ya ya. Theres a plug on one end of it, would it be viable just to un cap it, and fill it via the hole?

I guess I can test it out on the 2 old oil pumps I have sitting in the garage.

Last edited: