Mirrorimg's build thread

mirrorimg

Its been a long time since any updates. Thats mainly because I am buying a house and closing tomorrow. I expect to have some more car updates in the near future, but house updates will be intermingled. Who knows, I might even post those too (before/after type pictures). I plan on welding in a new cat (Im running a test pipe at the moment) and a new resonator to quiet the exhaust down. I also have a new block and ordered new rings to drop in when I have time. Im burning an awful lot of oil right now because the cylinder walls are all scratched up.

Since ECHM is coming up soon, I figured I would put my front lip back on. It got torn off when I went snowboarding in December and I never bothered to put it back on. Its got lots of spiderwebbing and lots of scrapes, but still looks better than nothing. I only took pictures of the big cracks, as the other things didnt really call for pictures.

I bought new clips and hardware because the old ones were rusted. I picked up some speed nuts from Advance Auto and some M8 screws from home depot. Didnt really matter what they look like because no one will ever see them, but I figured I would mix it up for security purposes. Loc-tited each bolt so they wouldnt come off.

I'll be cleaning up the excess epoxy when it sets and cures in 24 hours. I might use some touchup paint to cover up any exposed epoxy, but dont figure it will stand out much anyways once sanded down.

I fixed the broken tab visible in the background as well, though it was a bit uglier of a repair.

mirrorimg

So I have been pretty busy with my new house, moving things in and settling down. Furniture is still fairly bare but I am buying things and money allows. The garage has needed some work as it was termite infested before, and still has issues because the water drains off the driveway and pools in front of the garage door, to the extent that it starts to flood. I will be digging some drainage ditches in the yard to alleviate that problem.

Heres the bench Ive been building over the past week after work, and a bench that came with the garage.

GSRIntegra

Went through this whole thread and read just about every post. GREAT WORK! You've inspired me to finally find another vehicle and build my GS-R.

mirrorimg

Thanks everyone for the comments I never responded to.

Its been a long time since my last update. I havent really done much for a while, but I have been having motor troubles burning oil. I dont remember the last time I changed my oil, since I have had to top it off every week for so long. I decided to pull it and take it apart to do a rebuild, for which I have been amassing parts for some time. I plan on degreeing in the cams while I do this to make sure im making the most power it can. I never did that with the last build (almost exactly 25k miles ago).

The problem I see right off the bat is that my pistons have a lot of blow-by around the rings, so they either didnt seat properly or my clearance on the ring gap was off. I dont know if I will have to replace the pistons, but I will take them and my block to the machine shop to get checked (and probably the block honed to match the pistons if I can keep them). The skirts on the pistons are pretty worn, and have some scarring so I may have to replace them. I'll know when I take it to the shop.

A short list of the things I plan on doing:
- Replace bearings, blueprint the clearances to make sure they are correct (didnt do this before, let the shop spec everything)
- Replace piston rings if the pistons are ok
- Degree in the cams to make sure they are fully open at TDC. (saving my old headgasket for this)
- Install cleaned and flow tested injectors (sent out some used ones to a shop for cleaning)

Here some pictures of where I am now. I havent taken pictures all along the way.
Injectors (came from a 91-93 integra)

New Alternator

Micrometer set and telescoping bore gauges