my paint job quote..

Catman

ok I did see one car that he just got through doing but it was for this kid that just wanted to turn around and sell it. So the kid wanted no body work or primer. He didn't do any bodywork for the kid but he did insist on putting primer on it. The car had dents all over but he had painted it red. It definitely looked very "orangepeel" and it had a few drips in spots. I asked him about why there were drips and and why the texture was rough and had that "orangepeel" look to it.. he told me that most paint jobs before wetsanding will have some drips in small spots but they are taken out when wetsanded. He also said that the kid did not want the car to be wetsanded afterwords and he was going to keep that rough texture on the paint. The overall quality of the paint did look good though. I guess it was just a bad car to walk in on for a first impression and he had just finished it that morning. basically he sanded it for the kid, used 5 coats of primer, and did a small amount of body work for $550 but did not wetsand it after. He told me he would be glad to work with someone like me that really wants the best for their car. I really wanna shop around first but this guy seems pretty legit. what do you think?

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
get other estimates, i just had one painted and it was hard to even find a shop that woud do it, they all wabt colission work

goofygamer

Hey nerk, can you explain more about what to look for when I go meet a painter? The person I'm bringing my car to will be using PPG dbu an they've been in business for as long as my 20 year old self can remember lol. I asked them a couple questions already and the people I talk to doesn't usually know much compared to their painters, whom are elder men and not teenagers. Is there anything I should ask them, tell them on the day that I take my car in, things i should do while it's in the shop, etc...?

Sorry to theadjack OP, but I'm sure this will benefit you too : D

Catman

hey it's cool Goofy those are some good questions and they are on topic..

myxintegra

Extreme Music Addict
I'd say try to find some other estimates and quotes elsewhere and try to compare people's paintjobs to one another, so you can find the best quality job whilst having a fairly decent price as well. Unless your pockets are jittery and you could care less about looking around some more, not having enough time, etc. I'd say just stick with this painter. But I mean no one likes having they're car looking orange peel, so I'd just search some more for an overall estimate. 1600 isn't bad for a job, but in my opinion, it's possible to find some other deal elsewhere with a better job for a fairer price. You never know man.

Catman

well the paint job that he did with "orangepeel" look was not wet sanded or anything yet and he only charged the kid $550 for it. My paint job he assured me will be much much better. I still want to look around other shops and painters.. what's a good way to find painters??

myxintegra

Extreme Music Addict
well the paint job that he did with "orangepeel" look was not wet sanded or anything yet and he only charged the kid $550 for it. My paint job he assured me will be much much better. I still want to look around other shops and painters.. what's a good way to find painters??
Search around the area, ask around. Or, something else you could do which is faster and easier; the internet is your best friend. Go to Google, look up local body shops in your area, and look at their reviews on Yelp. Then, go in and take a look on how they do their paint jobs.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
I would just ask him to see work that he has done in person. Pictures can easily be manipulated these days, even if they aren't manipulated they rarely show bad spots. Camera angles ect can all make a bad car look good.

Catman

Search around the area, ask around. Or, something else you could do which is faster and easier; the internet is your best friend. Go to Google, look up local body shops in your area, and look at their reviews on Yelp. Then, go in and take a look on how they do their paint jobs.

Yes I definitely plan on doing that as well cause I want to go with a painter I KNOW will do an excellent job on my car. I don't wanna be guessing at all spending that kind of money cause I will be very pissed if it came out bad. Thanks for the advice I do believe I will do that. You guys have been very helpful.

Thanks.

I would just ask him to see work that he has done in person. Pictures can easily be manipulated these days, even if they aren't manipulated they rarely show bad spots. Camera angles ect can all make a bad car look good.
I can definitely agree on that.. it helped me sell my 2000 Grand am I had before my teggy.. lol. I will never go back!

myxintegra

Extreme Music Addict
Yes I definitely plan on doing that as well cause I want to go with a painter I KNOW will do an excellent job on my car. I don't wanna be guessing at all spending that kind of money cause I will be very pissed if it came out bad. Thanks for the advice I do believe I will do that. You guys have been very helpful.

Thanks.
Yeah no problem man, always willing to help to the best of my ability. And I'm still a car n00b so I try my best lol :thumbs up