Nathan's EE4

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
yup very familiar with that wagon! i love those rims! hopefully getting there soon. gonna post up what I did today on the head gasket soon

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
head off:

reeeeaallly ugly valves:

ugly pistons:

clean cylinder walls:

took the head to the shop with the rebuild kit. probably gonna have a valve job done. hear back tomorrow on the condition of the head and I resurface the block.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
got the call today about the head, needs a valve job. $360 for all the headwork. considering I make $100 a week and i've been n saving for like two months to afford this and was planning to spend $150, this is gonna suck

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
vtec head for higher compression on this thing, easier than spending $360

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
cept i'd need an obd1 distributor, obd1 ecu, obd1 dizzy and ecu conversion harness, to chip the ecu, and get a basemap ~ about 400+

and why go with just the head when I have a whole z6? so then flywheel bolts, z6 harness, obd1 chipped ecu, obd1 ecu conversion harness, cold air intake (stock d series intake wont fit intake mani, and stock z6 intake wont fit in the bay correctly, custom rywire obd0 to obd1 chassis to engine harness connector ~ about 700

this was the cheapest route and only thing I can afford right now

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
you could just put the head on and run it with no vtec till you get what you need

the intake fits fine, i have a S2 IM and that doesnt fit i'll tell you that much

all you need is a jumper harness, a solder kit, and obd1 plugs. i used my stock harness for the conversion later on

like i said PM and i can walk you through it so you can DIY and keep in budget

this is my project just to give you an idea lol

Last edited:

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
if I had more time, id do it but its gotta be done this week. and the spare z6 head I have is not in the best of shape and i wouldnt want to pull apart my complete z6 and use that head because it will be easier to swap the whole thing in down the line. I do appreciate the advice though. I wish I had known what all was wrong with the head last week and then i would have done the z6 swap this week

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
started my work on the block today

getting there:

looking pretty good:

tomorrow comes the 400 grit on the 2x4 to flatten it out. also gonna take a straight edge and feeler gauge and see if its flat. if its not, idk what i'll do. probably just do my best to sand it flat.

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
if I had more time, id do it but its gotta be done this week. and the spare z6 head I have is not in the best of shape and i wouldnt want to pull apart my complete z6 and use that head because it will be easier to swap the whole thing in down the line. I do appreciate the advice though. I wish I had known what all was wrong with the head last week and then i would have done the z6 swap this week
Yeah thats cool, i figured it would save you a couple bucks, what condition is the Z6 in?

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
Yeah thats cool, i figured it would save you a couple bucks, what condition is the Z6 in?
its supposedly in good shape. it turns over by hand no prob, all the valvetrain is free moving like it should be. has compression in all four cylinders. i want to put the higher compression p29 pistons, a thinner head gasket and a stage one cam in it so its gonna get some love before it goes in anyway. got it and two mint gsr leathers for 400 so it was worth it

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
yeah that why im boosting my SOHC, they practically give them away, i have 3 lol, and a b20 and LS, im a hoarder. but if your going to add pistons and do all that work then just us the Z6 head and put that $360 into good us(I'M NOT GIVING UP)

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
because i dont plan to do all that stuff till next year probably. hopefully going to have the hatch ready for the second autox season of this year. my friend offered to let me drive his civic for the first but i think im just gonna ride

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
naw man get as much time behind the wheel you can so when the ED7 is done you have a feel for it

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
well ive never raced (legitimately, i did some stupid street crap when i first got the DA), so i wouldnt really know what to do. the day is split into two sessions so i may ride the first and then drive the second.