Need Advice

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
just for reference...i have a stock block b20/vtec (9.2:1) with skunk2 pro 1's and bolt ons...it made 200whp and 146tq tuned on hondata by kingmotorsports

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Closer to 165whp, but besides that, you'd need to do all the things in this diagram to truly make it like an ITR motor:

Plus a mild P&P.
Yep. The C5/CR motors have an insanely well balanced and much lighter rotating assembly compared to the GSR. I'd agree with about 165 whp.

But with what is effectively an ITR motor now, wouldn't you expect about 170 hp?
No. The gsr head doesn't flow quite as well as the C5/CR head on the top end. Plus having a crappy header can really limit NA power. Without getting too into detail, headers not only use runner length and collector size to help make power, but also sonic resonance and vacuum to clear spend exhaust gases as well. When you use a cheap header with mediocre design and made of cheap materials it doesn't do it's job the best it can. Less-than-maximum-efficiency = less-than-maximum-power.

If you look at the vtec cam specs list the TegSox posted in the NA forum, it will also show that the ITR cams are not that aggressive. He's not maximizing his combustion or exhaust efficiency, so he won't be making max power.

Also, if he adjusted his power band he might make more power. The Type R cams need a little more room than the stock rev limiter allows to hit their full effect.

TaintedDC2

Tainted
What's your redline?
When does VTEC activate?
Am I right your compression's 10.8:1?

Redline at 8500rpm's
vtec kicks in 5,500
10:8:1 sounds about right

also forgot to add i also put in
stage 4 competition clutch
itr dual valvesprings

TaintedDC2

Tainted
i will be looking into a different header, any suggestions? also will be getting a bigger throttle body, prob gonna take me at least a few weeks to a month, but we'll have to see....thanks in advance

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
8500 redline? Dang. It's not even making anymore HP after 7900 RPM's.
The Skunk2 IM and 2.5 exhaust system definitley aern't your top end restriction. But that OBX twin loop....I don't believe that is true 2.5 inch piping, or I guess there's a second run of them that are fully 2.5. Also, switching to a SRI would help out the high RPM production. They are larger in diameter than a CAI, which allows a larger volume of air to the TB at high RPM's vs. a skinnier CAI. SRI will also improve top end throttle response vs. CAI because of the shorter intake pipe. And your header could be a problem, I agree with the guys you could probably get some improvement with a better header. It's a JDM ITR replica is assume, not a USDM replica? Be sure your header has at least a 2.25 inch collector, or a 2.5 inch at most.
I recommend a true JDM ITR header, or a Comptech, Hytech, SMSP, Toda, Spoon or Type1.
Do you have a high flow cat? What size collector does your current header have?

Last edited:

TaintedDC2

Tainted
8500 redline? Dang. It's not even making anymore HP after 7900 RPM's.
The Skunk2 IM and 2.5 exhaust system definitley aern't your top end restriction. But that OBX twin loop....I don't believe that is true 2.5 inch piping, or I guess there's a second run of them that are fully 2.5. Also, switching to a SRI would help out the high RPM production. They are larger in diameter than a CAI, which allows a larger volume of air to the TB at high RPM's vs. a skinnier CAI. SRI will also improve top end throttle response vs. CAI because of the shorter intake pipe. And your header could be a problem, I agree with the guys you could probably get some improvement with a better header. It's a JDM ITR replica is assume, not a USDM replica? Be sure your header has at least a 2.25 inch collector, or a 2.5 inch at most.
I recommend a true JDM ITR header, or a Comptech, Hytech, SMSP, Toda, Spoon or Type1.
Do you have a high flow cat? What size collector does your current header have?
my header has a 2.5 collector, to a highflow 2.5 inlet/outlet cat, 2.5 bent piping to the obx muffler

TaintedDC2

Tainted
i used to have a sri on it, and in most cases in the summer time heat in baton rouge, my car would kinda struggle on me sometimes cuz its so damn hot and humid, i switched over to a cai and it helped out. i dunno it would just sometimes lag in acceleration.... but ill see if if i can dig it out of my shed and put it back on since its winter still...