need help sizing turbo

B18TEG

BLACK DA
okay well as you guys know im in the run for boost. i have a b18a1 block bored out to 84mm, golden eagle sleeves, block guard, je 8:1 comp pistons, eagle rods, dsm 450cc injectors, victor x intake mani, crower fully dressed head (except cams. . . .working on getting stage 2's for boost) and msd 6al for ignition. ill be using crome to tune. So basically i have a built block and head (all ls powa!) and i wanted to know which size will be optimum. i was told that for my build a t3/t4 setup is just going to spin tires and not get any power down, and that im not going to enjoy the full capabilities of the engine. and i dont think want to go to a t60, seems too big, but im open to all suggestions.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
I don't know enough on turbo's yet to help you... sorry foo.

check with Mark or Kevin. they both spool! lol

B18TEG

BLACK DA
lol. . .. well ill take the bump . . . any luck on the lines

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
Where are you lookin for most of your power? if you want mid to high RPM power..get a 60 trim or similar, if you want more mid range power, run a .50 trim or similar. but if you want low end power, but i wouldnt IMO run something a tab bit smaller than a 50 trim, like a 16g or 20g.

Im goin to be upgrading to a 20g hopefully by x-mas

B18TEG

BLACK DA
so you think a t3/t4 is going to be ok? its ar compressor= .50 .57 trim and a/r turbine=.60

Last edited:

B18TEG

BLACK DA
cool . . .so its done, ill order that one, and if its not enough then ill go bigger to a 60 trim or something along those lines. turbo here we come

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
i sware if you get a 60 trim you probably wont like it. Its bag and takes a while for full spool

B18TEG

BLACK DA
Ok. . . . .so That Was My Whole View On It Too, But Am I Going To Be In Boost All The Time, Or Is That Just Based On Throttle Position? Cuz I Do Drive Like A Granny But When I Want The Power, I Want It To Be There

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
i feel you, then a 60 trim isnt for you, if you want almost instant responce, stick with a smaller turbo. Like for me with my stock turbo, im at full boost at like 3100 rpm if i gun it.you wont be in boost the entire time, itll still be like a normal turbo, but longer to get all the power. All im sayin is, seems like a 60 trim isnt the turbo you need. Plus a 50 trim can easily smoke a 60 trim if you run it in its efficiency, bc its spool faster

B18TEG

BLACK DA
yea. . . . plus i have the supporting mods to pull the teeth out of whatever turbo i get . . .. so i know the turbo should do its job

GSROWNSU

along with the right turbo size as far as trim and a/r ratios is exhaust size...exhaust size helps a lot with power and spool time...the quicker you can get the exhaust out the less pressure you keep on the turbo. I'm running a turbonetics t3/t4 on my gsr this summer ;)