New member from Canada 99 type R

cdn_R050

Thanks guys! I just did some diy jdm tail lights using 94-97 tail lights, I'm really happy with the way out turned out, I am probably going to make a thread in the diy section in case anyone wants to do the same. I included a pic showing the differences in DC tail lights.

R13

The other asshole
Huh... that's pretty cool, I've opened headlights and changed them but I never thought of changing the tail lights that way...

:thumbs up

renarudo

You have quite the beauty there my friend. Never let it go, I would almost kill for a legitimate Type R.

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but not new to Hondas, I've been modifying Hondas for about 17 years, and have owned about 7-8, the latest is my 99 type r #050, and is a genuine CDN type r with the original motor,and isnt a theft recovery.

I've owned it for about 3 years , bought from the 2nd owner, and it was in really rough shape when I bought it, I finally finished getting it back to running condition this past summer,

a local engine builder did a complete tear down and re build, changed the postings, rings, oil and water pumps, every belt seal and gasket, changed and rebuilt the suspension, I only got about 10 kms on it after the rebuild before I parked it for the winter, I don't have any better pics on my phone I'll have to find some on my laptop...

cdn_R050

You have quite the beauty there my friend. Never let it go, I would almost kill for a legitimate Type R.
Thank you very much. Growing up my friends older brothers and guys at school drove Hondas, and I rode in my friends older cousins 96 itr with a Jackson racing supercharger, back in 97 when I was 16, and I've been wrenching on Honda's ever since.

My first car was a crx which I miss terribly, and I've got to mod quite a few different Hondas over the years, at least 6 that I can think of. The fact that I'm such a honda nut is what led me to finding my itr, I check the local classifieds every morning as part of my routine and I saw the ad up online early in the morning when it was posted, I called the seller and he said the ad was only up for 10 mins lol.

Needless to say I told him it was sold over the phone with only a brief ad and 4 pictures of it. It was in horrible shape mechanically, transmission destroyed, rings toast burning oil, I couldn't even get it into reverse, but it was an itr with clear title and matching #s and was champ white, so I bought it, and for an amazing price, 3500$ Canadian. The seller wasn't a Honda guy and only had it for a few months and drove it into the ground and could care less what he got for it.

It was an 8 hour round trip to pick it up with a car trailer, but it's a day I will never forget, I never thought I would ever have an itr, I was so happy to get the car home and into my garage, I made a promise to myself that I would do the car justice, and I think I did.

It took a cpl years to find all the missing pieces and fix it up but now that it's done I couldn't be happier.

An OEM re spray is the last thing left on my list, I can't wait to see it without the 500 Lil dings and dents that it currently has.

cdn_R050

Huh... that's pretty cool, I've opened headlights and changed them but I never thought of changing the tail lights that way...

:thumbs up
Thanks! I've always wanted jdm tail lights, even though the difference is small, I like them better than the 94-97s, and I don't like the 98-01 all red tail lights, I think that turn signals should always flash yellow, red signal lights have the potential to confuse ppl I think.

When you open up any set of of 98-01 tail lights, the entire housing is painted silver, and the lens would vary depending on the market the car was being made for. 94-97 tail lights are darker looking because only the individual rings, reverse, brake and signal are painted silver and the rest of the housing is black around the edges, with the lens over it it makes the clear red plastic seem darker around the edges.

The lens on 94-97 and 98-01 jdm tail lights are the same, red with yellow turn signal, so all I had to do was paint the entire area on the housing silver and then re seal the lights. I have taken apart headlights in the past, and I've done it enough times to get good at it, and these tail lights I did came out pretty much perfect, the lights aren't warped everything looks as it should. I compared my tail lights to genuine jdm 98-01 tail lights and they looked identical.

I think they are like 200$ us dollars at icb Motorsport plus shipping, and are sold out to boot. The entire project cost me 7$ for the clear automotive silicone, i had 94-97 tail lights and silver engine block paint,and I re heated the lights when sealing them so the silicone wasn't necessary, there is always plenty of the original glue, I just used silicone for piece of mind.

I'm just stoked that I was able to get the tail lights I always wanted by making them at home and saved a ton of money and waiting.

I have started to wonder what OEM tail lights would look like with different colored housings, like all black housings with all red tail lights, I wonder how that would look vs the usual smoked tail light that people do... It might look good on a dark car. I have 2 sets of all red tail lights I might just mess around with a set and see what happens.

cdn_R050

Another benefit to opening the lights up was being able to clean the inside of the tail lights, they were filthy inside even though from the outside they didn't look that bad the inside was a different story.

Now that they are clean inside, the lights look so crisp and bright, probably similar to what they looked like back in the day when they were new, anyone doing a restoration project should consider doing this.

cdn_R050

I came across these ukdm tail lights last night on eBay, there are only 2 pairs of UK tail lights on all of eBay, one set is 600 us, the other are 325$, while looking at tail lights from cheapest up, and I stumbled across this auction for ukdm tail lights, seller is in WA, and obviously doesn't know the value, they were up for 87$ us buy it now, so that's exactly what I did!

cdn_R050

Thanks I hope they are too... I emailed the seller last night and asked if the tail lights in the auction pic are the exact lights and the seller replied back with just "yes" so I'm hoping they are the right ones

Last edited:

cdn_R050

Been a cpl weeks, some new goodies for my car, 16" jdm itr wheels, top fuel intake mated to my diy icebox and lastly, chipped p28 for my setup and obd2a to obd1 harness.

I just put the ecu in but it's thunder storming and I don't drive the R in that kind of weather. Better pics soon, intake pics are mock up only, the air box closed perfectly over the top fuel filter, couldn't be happier with the last few purchases I got really good deals on everything.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Dr Grant

I was looking through eBay that same day those "Orange Tail Lights" as the seller described was close to ending in auction. I just couldn't take the risk so I let it slide even though my gut wanted me to buy them. Let us know if they're legitimate though, hope they are for ya!