New to Integra's and ClubIntegra!

Prozon

Kris
New to Integras and ClubIntegra! (Build Thread)

Well I'll start off with an introduction. My name is Kris! I just bought an Integra, and I know verrrrrrrrrry little about it, that's why I'm here! Just so you know, I tend to ramble, if I annoy you just lemme know. I do not know a lot about the car, but I will not hesitate to ask. I know a bit about engines and such. Mostly bigger ones.. like the 7.5L kind of thing.. but I hope to get into this. Skilled body work, paint, fabrication.. that kind of stuff.

The car;
1993 Acura Integra
3dr Hatchback GS 5-Spd
1.8L L4 PFI DOHC 16V (I have no idea what that means.)

It cost me $300. It needs some work, but I don't think that it's anything out of range of my abilities. There is a littttttle bit of body damage on the rear end. (It's got a minor scrape and indented about 1/4".) And there's some damage on the front drivers door and rear bumper. It needs a new hood (Great story on that one!!) and a motor. Blue car, white front end..

OH and GREAT body lines!!!

The motor supposedly had a bad crankshaft, I haven't looked myself but that is what I was told. It COULD be a camshaft, the valve cover is unbolted. Not sure how he could tell the "CRANK" was bad from looking at the "CAMS". The car has 280k, you tell me. Time for a new engine or this thing worth a rebuild; time and money wise? I read the "2nd Gen General Info" post at the top, and i'm curious what engine I have.. I did a VIN decode to see the whole "1.8L L4 PFI DOHC 16V" thing.. but that makes no sense to me. Is it a "B17, B18" something like that?

Back to the hood story.. well I guess the hood latch broke with the PO, leading to the hood smashing the windshield. Well the windshield was replaced, but instead of fixing the latch, the PO decided to put hood pins in and drill holes through the hood. But instead of drilling them clear through.. it was more of "drill a little, smash a lot." The hood is trash, figured on getting one from a wrecking yard or Craigslist.

The Hood Pin

The latch cable for the hood.

What it has going for it:
Well the body damage seems pretty minor.. I doubt any of it will be tough to fix. The interior will clean up nice. I need to vacuum the carpets and throw away the PO's trash, but no stains or rips in seats. It has a Spectre air intake. (Basically just a little purple pipe with a fancy filter.) The car has headers, not sure if its stock or aftermarket. From the age on them they look like something that was stock. The exhaust also looks bigger than stock. (The tips are bigger at least, from what I've seen of other cars.)

So that's it for now. I'll update progress as I go. Post pictures, ask questions... that kind of stuff.
If anyone has some good information for me to read up on, or could post some here, it would be greatly appreciated. (Maybe an Integra dictionary?!?!?)

Thanks for reading! Hope to hear from you all soon. :)

Last edited:

5speedintegra

Welcome to CI! Thats not a bad car you found there its a little rough on the outside but its a really fun car to drive! so the car is a 93, so im almost positive it came with a B18 (1.8L), of course its a 4 cylinder, dual overhead cams (DOHC), and its fuel injected (PFI). Have you started the engine to see what it sounds like?

o and btw i had hood pins too lol i took that shit off cuz previous owners did exactly what they did to yours.. and it looked horrible.

Prozon

Kris
I don't think the engine will start at all lol. The valve cover is unbolted, and all the plug wires ripped out with the distributor cap unhooked. Should I throw it all together to see what happens?

db1love

welome!!!, needs some work but every teg has potential!!, yea start that bitch, its likely it wont fire but hey it could, and listen, you can find out alot from a motor just buy listening!, look for obvios shit before you start aswell

emd513

welcome. it want be hard to fix those. just hope he wasnt as stupid as my op and started messing wit the wiring and replacing it wrong where he saw fit.

Prozon

Kris
As far as I know the wiring is all in good condition. The only thing I noticed was speaker wiring. There's a heavy cable for an amp/sub and then a few plugs for speakers. (Which I don't know if it still has.. the cd player is missing.)

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
:welcome:

To make a singular into a plural for example, " Integra", simply add an "s" at the end. There is no need for an apostrophe.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
:welcome:

The best way to tell if the bottom end is damaged is this:

1). Take the oil pan off and and the oil pump out, and check the main bearings. If they look ok, and the crank and rods look ok, put everything back together (don't forget to put oil back in it!).

2). While the valve cover is off you can check over all the valvetrain. If everything looks sturdy, put it back together.

3). Do a compression test. If the test results are poor it means the piston rings are bad. If they're good try to start the motor.

4). If there are weird noises or problems, ask us and we will help you diagnose them :D

Prozon

Kris
I like this site already. I post something and five minutes later I get a reply.
Awwweeeesommmmme. Haha.

To make a singular into a plural for example, " Integra", simply add an "s" at the end. There is no need for an apostrophe.
Thanks. :p

Here's the news on the engine:
I'm not going to try to start it, the CRANKSHAFT pulley wobbles.. probably an inch or two of play in it. In the next few days i'm going to pull the engine and check out the bottom end and see whats going on with it..

And I think it was wrecked. What I wouldn't do for a carfax report. (Except pay. :p )

Prozon

Kris
Oh and does anyone know what engine this is?
And.. what happened to cause the crankshaft pulley to be movable..

emd513

look right below you head on the left side it should have a stamp with b18a1 b18b1 or whatever it is

Prozon

Kris
Looked around just now.. but its dark and greasy so I didn't find anything.
But as long as its stamped on there somewhere, i'll find it sooner or later.

Everything from the front clip back looks better then it does in the picture. Aside from the slide indents on the drivers side. Not too bad of a body.

I'm really excited to get the engine yanked lol.