Official DSLR Photography Thread

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
It's not a bad picture, for what you took it of its good. I separate my photos into, pictures I like, trash, great photos (I think I've taken less than 5 ever). It's a nice picture of your car, but think about the work that gets put into getting some shots you see, not the processing but the actual shot.

For your question, yes a smaller aperture will blur the background more. Look up reciprocity, it will give you an idea of how everything works to get the correct exposure. Your shot is spot on with focus and brightness.

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
do you have a certain forum in particular that does the photo a week?

I go on Dyxum but it's a sony forum. I like luminouslandscape, I'm not sure if they do photo assignments, but they are great for inspiration. Your editing was good, it brought out a nice reflection on the car and wasn't too much.

whitedc4

Awesome thank you a bunch!

I think when my car is rolling ill focus on the better picture. I want to figure out how to take a good focal point picture!! Now that I know how to use manual focus effectively I want to use everything else correctly.

Ryan659

Thanks dude. I like the first one. You should edit it to sharpen it. The rocks look like they're floating

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
The rocks look like they're floating
Lol that's what I thought at first.

I went out after work today. Can I get some critique?

Icy Rocks by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
I don't think it's sharpening as much as blur from a combination of slow shutter speed and lack of DOF. If you took that on a tripod at say f8 or f11, it would look amazing. It's a really cool photo though. I just followed you on flickr.

Last edited:

Ryan659

Lol that's what I thought at first.

I don't think it's sharpening as much as blur from a combination of slow shutter speed and lack of DOF. If you took that on a tripod at say f8 or f11, it would look amazing. It's a really cool photo though. I just followed you on flickr.
A tripod is a must with along with a low ISO to reduce noise. I was thinking more of post editing. Increasing the sharpness would define the edges of the rocks more and wouldn't that add to DOF? DOF is something new to me.

The slow shutter speed is a good thing with water photos, especially in this one cause if there were clouds in the sky it would increase the reflection and illusion of floating rocks.