overheating. please help

nick92

92 lowered da
my da is overheating.. i can fill radiator up drive it around it overheats check radiator and bone dry.. but nothing leaking that i can tell... any one got any suggestions on what it could be?

emd513

Blown headgasket. Check your oil. If its milky no more driving. If its not fill it up and start it and see if you get a lot of moisture out the exhaust. Either way if you get a hit on either one your looking at wrench time and some replacement gaskets and machine work

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

emd513

Op also. If neither give you any signs pull your oil filter off and see if it has a lot of milky looking gunk in it. Seen some good filters take out a lot of water.

nick92

92 lowered da
woudnt a blown gasket make my car run like crap? runs good for about ten minutes then gotta fill back up and good for about ten minutes

R13

The other asshole
only if it's getting in the cylinders, It can still go in the oil though and it's very bad to run it that way.

Check your oil, If it's milky or has white looking stuff in it then it's your headgasket.

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
check better to see if youre leaking fluid somewhere. Then check to see if youre oil is milky. Maybe youre not filling your radiator up all the way?

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
if it is getting in the cylinders and he is losing that much fluid, then there should be a huge puff of white smoke coming out.

nick92

92 lowered da
anyone know if advance or napa or a parts store that does the "loan a tool" will have a radiator pressure tester?

nick92

92 lowered da
ok guys im still stranded.. i top my radiator off this moring. checked my oil and it looked fine not milky looking at all, even compared the dip stick to my trucks dip stick to make sure it was same. I cranked up my car hardly had any smoke, more than likely it was cold air smoke.. i let it idle for 30min never rose above a fourth still coudnt find any leaks anywhere, so i said well let me drive it and c what it does. by the time i made it a mile down the road it started rising again so i turned around and had heater running on full and it stayed about 7/8 from overheating, so i got it home about a 3 mile trip and pulled back up and went and checked to c if i could find a leak and to c if both my fans were working, they were.. went back to turn my car off and the temp had went back down to normal>>>>WTF<<<<<< so its only overheating while im driving, anyone got a idea of what it could be?

emd513

Your getting air in your cooling system. There should be a bleeder valve on the thermostat housing if not park it with front of the car in the air so that all the water runs to the block and you can release the air. Fill it up run it with the cap off for a few min while watching the fluid level. Keep adding till it starts to flow out. Close the radiator. Check your temp through out this to make sure you didn't run hot, then drive it again. You might still have a blown headgasket so you need to keep an eye on your water level for a few days.

nick92

92 lowered da
could it be a bad water pump?is there a belt for waterpump? i just bought the car and it has a b18a1 in it but it only has one visible belt on it going to the main pulley to alt, thats it. the other 5 pulleys are free. what all do they go 2? nubie to these cars. looks like i should have atleast 2 more belts

emd513

On will be power steering the other will be AC. Neither needed. Your water pump is behind the black plastic which is driven with the timing belt. Which is all behind your main pulleys.

If you look to where your belt is you can see my timing belt where my valve cover is cut off. Sry bad pick but the only one I have from a while ago.

emd513

But from what you have said I wouldn't think it would be. You should over heat during idle if you have a bad water pump as it won't be able to push enough water through at the engines rpms. But is a possibility.

nick92

92 lowered da
i tried this and it worked for about another half amile then stared rising again, went back home parked it idling and it went back down??? grrr this suxs monkey nuts