Paypal Claims

treeafodo

Austin
Long and short of it I put a deposit down on a car through paypal to ensure that the car would not sell until the weekend as it was 4 hours away. I sent the money as a purchase rather than a gift incase of the small chance this would happen. I went down Saturday (yesterday) and after inspecting the car in person, and it breaking down on the very short test drive, we decided to pass on it. The guy seemed like a stand up guy and agreed to he would send my deposit back to me. He's been ignoring my texts and calls for over 24 hours now so I filed a paypal dispute. He's still ignoring me...

I am able to elevate the dispute to a claim on the 9th.

What are the chances of me getting my money back? I'm worried now. I have saved everything from the original ad, pictures and even text messages. Also, how long will this process take? I've never been in this situation before.

Thanks guys.

Mike61096

17 yr. old Integra Modder
I'd file a police report also. If you know exactly where the guy lives, do that. Also, paypal will definitely give you your money back, it may just take a while. When you do get your money back, the guy's paypal will become limited and he will have a negative balance for the amount you paid the deposit for.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2 Using Tapatalk 2

treeafodo

Austin
I'd file a police report also. If you know exactly where the guy lives, do that. Also, paypal will definitely give you your money back, it may just take a while. When you do get your money back, the guy's paypal will become limited and he will have a negative balance for the amount you paid the deposit for.

I was thinking about a police report, but I do not know how they work, nor how you file them. Do you file with his local PD? I'm glad to hear that everyone I've talked to says I will get the money back even if he took it from his bank account. I don't care how long the money takes to get back, as long as I get it.

Mike61096

17 yr. old Integra Modder
I was thinking about a police report, but I do not know how they work, nor how you file them. Do you file with his local PD? I'm glad to hear that everyone I've talked to says I will get the money back even if he took it from his bank account. I don't care how long the money takes to get back, as long as I get it.
It'd be best to do it with his local pd. Google them, call them up and explain the situation.

OfficeLinebacke

This has happened to me before. You'll be fine. I know that for you, the situation is very serious and urgent. PayPal needs to do their due diligence, and people have lives--the guy is in the middle of trying to sell a car that just broke down, among other life things. He'll probably refund the money and if he doesn't PayPal will take care of it.

These things happen on a schedule, and when you're upset, it seems like people are dragging their feet, but they're not.

Best of luck.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I have seen some ads that say there is a non-refundable deposit. If that wasn't stated, then you have a leg to stand on. I'd probably talk with the local PD in this case and see what they recommend.

Good luck.

treeafodo

Austin
Thanks for the encouraging words, guys! The ad did not state anywhere in it about a deposit. We discussed the deposit both on the phone and through text. The point of the deposit was so that the car did not sell before the weekend when I could drive down to see it. Then in person, when I decided not to purchase the car, I asked for the deposit back and he agreed he would send it back to me.

This morning just as I start work he gets back to me saying the following : " Hey I just got back to the city this morning,I notice your 8 or 9 messages, I stopped by my property to move the Integra and the clutch appears to be fried, since you guys we're the last to touch/drive it any idea why it's doing that?"

I reply " The clutch is fine we told you the drive shaft broke because it was rotted out."

Him " I can't even move the thing, had to get behind and push it....Never had a problem with like that in 5 years....Is there any way you guys may if dis engaged it some how while you were driving it and or going over the mechanics?"

Me " Yeah, we had to push it back from out test drive into your driveway. Look at the right side drive shaft. It's split right in the center at the rubber connector just like we told you. We also mentioned a headgasket problem at the same time. We mentioned that the drive shaft was about $80. We have until tomorrow to come to an agreement, or paypal will investigate. If you send me $494.91 (the total of the deposit after fees) as a gift payment to *my email*I will cancel the dispute and we will move on. Otherwise I will continue with the dispute. Let me know please."

This is where we stand now. He hasn't replied for a little while. He's basically saying I broke his car. It did break on the test drive. It over heated and consumed a lot of coolant. When shifting into second the drive shaft snapped under 2000 rpm, we didn't dump the clutch, normal acceleration. Will this change anything through paypal?

OfficeLinebacke

I think you're handling it pretty well.

The thing I would suggest it looking at it from his point of view. He's trying to sell it and it broke down while it was in your possession. According to him, he's never had a problem like that in the 5 years he's owned it. If you were in his position, you might suspect that the test driver did something uncool that led to the car not being able to be moved.

So that's why he's dragging his feet/resisting giving you the money back. In his mind, maybe that's money he should be using to fix the car you broke.

So be patient but firm. You didn't break it, it just happened to break down while it was in your possession, and it was just luck. It had nothing to do with how you were treating the car (right?). You feel bad that this happened, but it's not your fault and you want your money back.

treeafodo

Austin
I think you're handling it pretty well.

The thing I would suggest it looking at it from his point of view. He's trying to sell it and it broke down while it was in your possession. According to him, he's never had a problem like that in the 5 years he's owned it. If you were in his position, you might suspect that the test driver did something uncool that led to the car not being able to be moved.

So that's why he's dragging his feet/resisting giving you the money back. In his mind, maybe that's money he should be using to fix the car you broke.

So be patient but firm. You didn't break it, it just happened to break down while it was in your possession, and it was just luck. It had nothing to do with how you were treating the car (right?). You feel bad that this happened, but it's not your fault and you want your money back.
I understand it from his mindset too. I would be upset if this happened to a car that I was trying to sell. I was not beating on the car at all. My dad and I pulled out of his driveway and by the time we made it to the stop sign I noticed the temperature gauge was up all the way. Upon noticing this we shut the A/C off, and continued down the short block. When moving the temp gauge came back down, when stopped it rose again. We turned onto another street from a stop, accelerate normally through first, shift into second, just get on the gas and the axle broke. We coasted it down onto another street and pushed it down his, into his driveway.

I will be willing to work something out with him. Can he accuse me of breaking it? Yeah, of course he can, but you also have to remember it was his daily driver for 5 years and the roads here get salted 4 or 5 months out of the year. Things will rust out and wear, especially drive train parts.

I am more than willing to work something out with him. We priced an axle at $80,if nothing else at all will work, I will tell him I will cover half.

This situation is holding me back from buying another car, I need that 500 to pay for another one.

OfficeLinebacke

In that case you're being more than fair, you're practically generous to help him out financially. Keep doing what you're doing, you just have to let the process work itself out at the pace PayPal/the other guy dictate. Sorry it can't happen faster.

treeafodo

Austin
In that case you're being more than fair, you're practically generous to help him out financially. Keep doing what you're doing, you just have to let the process work itself out at the pace PayPal/the other guy dictate. Sorry it can't happen faster.
It happens, I'll get a car one way or another. If I get the car before the money comes back it'll be parts money. As long as I get it back I'll be happy.

I gave him until midnight to give me the deposit minus $40, after that I'll elevate it to a claim if I haven't heard back from him. I'm all for helping someone out, but I'm not going to be used at someone's convenience.

treeafodo

Austin
Here is everything that has gone on through Paypal. What are your thoughts?

From Buyer - Austin R7/7/2013 14:40 GMT-04:00
I sent this payment as a $500 deposit on a car that was for sale out of town from me(we lived almost 4 hours away). The money was sent so that the car would not be sold before I was free to come out on Saturday and look at it. If the car checked out and passed my inspection I would have purchased it. Upon test driving the car on saturday, july 6th, 2013, it was overheating and the axle broke while under light acceleration in second gear. The car was not in the working condition that was described. All known issues were discussed over the phone, through text messages before we drove the distance, and again in person the day we met. We figured the car had a headgasket problem. Upon discussing this the seller instantly dropped the price of the car from $2490 to $1000. My dad and I said that we would consider this and let him know by Tuesday at the latest what the verdict was on the car. Before we left his property I asked for this deposit payment back and he agreed that he would send it back to my email. I text him just minutes after I left his property stating my email address and the final verdict on the car. We decided to pass.

Its been over 24 hours, and the seller has not responded to me at all and has ignored all my calls and texts.

I have copies of the original ad, every text message that was sent, including pictures.

The seller seamed honest and had very prompt replies during the whole transaction. After we decided to pass he's been ignoring me.

From Seller - ADAM M 7/8/2013 12:56 GMT-04:00
A deposit of $510 was sent to guarantee the car would be held for the depositor (i have a text message from the depositor stating the exact words) "This deposit will guarantee I get the car come Saturday night" upon the time they arrived to pay the remaining balance of $2,000. Once the deposit of $510 was received all other offer's were declined, there was no discussion on it (the car) having to pass any type of inspection whatsoever , as far as the buyer was originally concerned he knew it needed extensive repairs at his expense as which the price had reflected, displayed in the Autotrader ad. I've owned the car in question for over 5 years and have had no problems with it at all. The depositors got in the car to test drive it and as decribed by the respective depositors an axle shaft broke which I have text record of them saying that the axle part that had failed was about $80 (I dropped the price to cover that, they said we will think about it. As far as I can see it is not overheating, i just ran it for 20mins in this 30 degree heat with no issues at all. The original listing price is $2,490 and says in the ad it need's extensive repairs. The car is still sitting at the property if they want it and I am even willing to ship it to them free of charge on a flat bed after receiving the remaining balance. (The extra $10 in the deposit were to cover the Paypal fee's)

From Buyer - Austin R7/8/2013 16:00 GMT-04:00
We knew the car needed work. A headgasket and ball joints were not covered in the ad, the car was overheating while driving, not while sitting. We have come to the conclusion that we would like to pass on the car, and would like the deposit back.

From Buyer - Austin Ri7/8/2013 16:40 GMT-04:00
Over the phone the night I sent the deposit I said that IF the car checks out we will give him the remaining balance and take ownership of the vehicle.

Before leaving the sellers property we asked for the deposit back and if we decided to purchase the car I'd use the money from the deposit to give to him. The seller agreed to send the deposit back (this was in person, at his property). I confirmed he knew my email address, and he said he would send it. I let him know later that day, over text message, that we would pass on purchasing the car. We discussed the body condition of the car, we discussed that it would need new brakes, and a window regulator and tires as well. No where in the ad, over text or the phone were ball joints mentioned. That's fine, I take it the seller did not know. The fact that he said he would give us the deposit still stands. We have passed on buying the car and would like the seller to follow through with his word, and honor the fact he said he'd return the deposit.

From Seller - ADAM M 7/8/2013 17:30 GMT-04:00
I'm willing to settle the dispute 50/50 meaning I will send back $250 as soon as I see a confirmed response on here as well as a text message response confirming agreement. I'll transfer the $250 from my bank account to Paypal, then back to the depositor as soon as possible.

From Buyer - Austin R7/8/2013 18:11 GMT-04:00
I do not see why it should cost me $250 to look at a car that is for sale. I would never purchase a car blindly without inspecting it first. The car needed more work than what was expressed in the ad, over text, and in person. The seller mentioned just a few messages about this one that 1) "(I dropped the price to cover that, they said we will think about it." and 2) "The car is still sitting at the property if they want it". Here the seller has stated that we let him know we would think about the purchase after these problems around and the price has dropped., and that we had a choice in buying it hence the "if".

I have tried to work with the seller offering him $40 to cover half of the broken axle. Yes, it is unfortunate that it broke. I am understanding that it is frustrating trying to sell a car while it has a broken part. Can I be held accountable? I do not believe so. The roads are salted 4 to 5 months out of the year where the seller lives, and he stated over the phone and in the ad that the car has been used as a daily driver for 5 years. This axle is part of the drivetrain and can undergo quite an amount of stress.

I am willing to cover $40 to cover the axle as an understanding that it is unfortunate that the part has broken. This would be a total of $454.91 being returned as a gift payment to me.

The seller says he wants to split 50/50. The axle is an $80 part, like we both have admitted. I see no reason why i should have to spend an extra $170. The absolute most I will settle on is $40 to help the buyer.

From Buyer - Austin R7/8/2013 18:51 GMT-04:00
Here is the copy of the original ad "Fantastic reliable car, quick, cheap on gas & insurance. Last model year of the Integra's.

The bad:

-Front windshield has a crack,

-It needs brakes (Rotors & pads all around).

-Drivers side door lock mechanism needs to be replaced

-Front fender was dented, then covered with bondo and painted, rear quarter panel has some refinishing around the wheel well.

The good:

-Timing belt replaced at 185KM

-Oil changed every 5,000 (full synthetic)

-Never left me stranded, a great, sharp little reliable car for the $$, this car should hit 375,000km -No problem

-Leather seats

-Sunroof

-Power mirrors & windows

-Fog lights (very bright)

-Stainless short shifter makes shifting quick and lots of fun!

-Stainless cat back exhaust gives a great sound.

-Winter tires are on it with a couple more seasons of use left.

I've owned it for over 5 years

Selling because i bought a new car"

I decided to pass on the vehicle because of the problems not listed. Adam has agreed that there were problems that were not listed hence the price drop. No where in the ad, nor in our conversation does it say that the deposit is non refundable or that I was locked into the purchase of the car. I let Adam know that my Dad and I would let him know if we were going to purchase the car or not by Tuesday, he has stated his in his own message on paypal. I notified him saturday (the day we looked at the car) at 6:00pm exactly (6 hours after we left his house). My message states the following : "I ended up buying another car, so I need that deposit back to finish paying for it. *my email*" This is my notification of the verdict on the car. Sent before tuesday like promised.

I see no reason at all why I should not get my deposit back. I decided not to purchase the car, and gave Adam the required heads up about my decision. I have every text message both saved, and screenshots of it all as well.

Last edited:

treeafodo

Austin
This was just posted. I dont know what to say. I am so worked up over this that I am not thinking clearly. Help :(

From Seller - ADAM M7/8/2013 18:52 GMT-04:00
The $500 deposit was received to show commitment from the buyer and to have security on my part as the seller that I would not be wasting my time and to make plans accordingly to accommodate the buyer which was not free on my part, the deposit was non refundable due to these circumstances...I want to settle this 50/50 as I stated above or my offer of the 50/50 split is OFF the table as of 9pm July 8th/2013. If no agreement is met then I'm requesting to keep the entire deposit amount of $510

He says it is notrefundable but that was NEVER EVER EVER discussed. Help :'(

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
He already said he would refund you and is going back on his word... Don't give him $40 to help him, get all your money back from this scumbag! You have all the evidence on your side. If this Pay-Pal thing isn't working out, threaten to file a Police Report and to take him to small claims court. Try calling PayPal if you can, may be more effective that way. I'm sorry you are having to go through this, seller is a complete jerk, you are in no way wrong.
- Aaron