Paypal Claims

treeafodo

Austin
My mom is saying the same thing. The guy has no proof of anything at all, I'm using his own words against him in quotation marks.

I did contact his local PD and file a police report for theft under $5000. I haven't told him yet and do not plan on it. At least not for a while.

I'm going to call my credit card company tomorrow as well as I funded this payment through my credit card.

Edit : the police called me saying they can't process a police report as this is not criminal, but they did give me some insight as to small claims court. They also said as this was funded through my credit card that my company will almost 100% refund my money
The guy is still fighting for his life over $500, but he is providing no evidence at all. If you would like to see the conversation I can post it up in the morning.

Last edited:

OfficeLinebacke

Yeah this guy is using typical scare tactics by putting a deadline on his offer to give you $250. He's actually a pretty smart scammer. "Don't negotiate with terrorists." PayPal and credit cards always side with the buyer, you're in the position of strength, not him. Remain firm and you'll get your way.

You may want to remind him that you're going to get your $500 back either way. But if PayPal has to take it, he'll lose his Paypal privileges.

Sammich

Provide paypal with all the information on the situation and you have a chance, if everything you're saying actually happened, it should go in your favor and you should recieve the refund

treeafodo

Austin
Yeah this guy is using typical scare tactics by putting a deadline on his offer to give you $250. He's actually a pretty smart scammer. "Don't negotiate with terrorists." PayPal and credit cards always side with the buyer, you're in the position of strength, not him. Remain firm and you'll get your way.

You may want to remind him that you're going to get your $500 back either way. But if PayPal has to take it, he'll lose his Paypal privileges.

I really hope so. I need this money back. How would I remind him I'll get my money back?

Provide paypal with all the information on the situation and you have a chance, if everything you're saying actually happened, it should go in your favor and you should recieve the refund
Everything I have said actually happened. I am using his own words against him as well. The only thing I do not have record of him saying is that he would return the deposit because that was in person as he was leaving.

Do I notify my credit card company now or after paypal?

treeafodo

Austin
Don't you have his email and phone number? Use one of those methods to remind him.
I have his cell number and his email, but I'm thinking I'd like to leave everything inside paypal so they see everything. He is much more hostile while texting me. He still isn't able to deny anything that I have been saying with any proof at all. He has just been saying stuff along the lines of "what's the point of a deposit if it's fully refundable?" so I reply with "the deposit was to show I was serious about making a 4 hour drive to see the vehicle, and that the drive would not be to waste incase it sold before I got there. A deposit in no means can be nonrefundable unless it is stated and agreed upon prior to accepting the deposit"
He then replied with "I expect a zero refund because I never agreed to that". This is the unfortunate part, as this was in person, I have no text record of it, but I can assure you he said it.
So i replied. Last night around 10 saying "no where was a non refundable deposit EVER mentioned across any format of communication. The very first time you ever mentioned it being nonrefundable was (then I gave the date and time of the message). This was prior to both accepting the deposit and agreeing on your property on Saturday that you would send it back to me. Your vehicle is still on your property, in your possession, IF we decided to purchase it. Just like you stated above."
He hasn't replied yet. I am able to elevate this to a claim later tonight. The guy is giving no evidence at all.

dlo253

Call the cc company as well. Time is of the essence. Make them know you are determined to not get screwed.

treeafodo

Austin
Call the cc company as well. Time is of the essence. Make them know you are determined to not get screwed.
I was told to wait until after paypal makes their decision. I`m not sure what to do really... This is kind of stressful for me.

treeafodo

Austin
Someone on another forum I'm active on. He said wait until paypal is done their decision (7-10 days) then call your credit card company.

dlo253

Meh, why? Let the cc card know paypal has been notified as well. Then they can decide if they wanna wait for paypals conclusion, or refund you and cancel the paypal dispute process. It ainy his money, its yours. Lol, ya know?

treeafodo

Austin
Meh, why? Let the cc card know paypal has been notified as well. Then they can decide if they wanna wait for paypals conclusion, or refund you and cancel the paypal dispute process. It ainy his money, its yours. Lol, ya know?
I've been told that having the credit card company reverse that payment will result in paypal shutting my account down.

dlo253

Doubtful, not like you are going behind their back to get a double refund. Maybe tho. Any word from paypal yet? I am interested to hear. Hopefully they dont deny due to the fact you sent it as money for goods. When it wasn't necessarily, well kinda... Hope they feel it was tho.

treeafodo

Austin
No, nothing yet. I am able to elevate the dispute to a claim later tonight. I will keep everyone updated once it's elevated and paypal gets involved. I just want my money back. :(