Questions on future engine build

Evul9

Hey guys, I know this has been covered here and on many other websites, and I have been looking at them for the last month. The problem is that they all have different budgets ect. so it would really be easiest if I would just start a thread. I plan on eventually rebuilding my B18C1 (I think it is all stock, owner said it has supposedly bigger cams...) because it is burning oil etc. And I would like to start with a "fresh" engine. With that in mind, I would like to make it higher compression, something between 11:1-12:1. From what I have read, if I put P30 pistons in that generally works.

Basically, I would love some input/opinions on what to eventually do. I will definitely have a budget, so nothing expensive and i definitely want it to run on 93 petrol. I have a AEM EMS V1 (haven't managed to connect to it though computer yet) in the car already and my friend is quite experienced in doing stuff with Honda engines, so I would be looking at working on it with him in my garage.

Current Engine mods
CAI
MSD ignition
Adjustable cam gears
Sk2 intake

So if you guys could tell me if the P30's are good, what Cams would I need etc?
If you know of a better plan please tell me!

Thanks Guys

Evul9

To go along with the P30 pistons?
What about ITR cams? Seem cheaper. I Am not looking to make crazy power. Just thought I might aswell make the car a bit faster while taking the engine apart.
Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
To go along with the P30 pistons?

Yeah - i mean there are many companies that offer cams - there is crower, blox, kelford, bisimoto, etc or u could even go ITR/CTR cams

I wouldn't get too aggressive though as your build will mimic a type r

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Evul9

Thanks. Definitely only looking at a mild build. I need to find out if my cams are stock... tried to find out before but could not get the dizzy off... the previous owner said that they are, that would save some $$$

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
Thanks. Definitely only looking at a mild build. I need to find out if my cams are stock... tried to find out before but could not get the dizzy off... the previous owner said that they are, that would save some $$$

It's going to be hard to identify what cams they are unless they say something on them

Why do u want to rebuild it? Is the motor on its last legs?

You honestly could not get the pistons and still have a good compression to get some mild cams.

Remember that cams aren't good without a tune - tune is everything

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Evul9

I want to rebuild it because I want more power, lol. But also because it is burning oil (I suspect piston rings because a few times after vtec, when it would go down to idle, it stalled) And I also want to learn more about engines etc.

And are you taking about milling the head to get the higher compression?

And definitely will get a good tune after.

Thanks

Muckman

Not a M0derator
We need to know what your goals are. ITR cams are only going to make you 170-175whp. Is that enough for you?

If they are aftermarket cams then ITR cams probably would be a step down. Either pull the cams and look for identifying marks or ask the prev owner what they are specifically.

I would recommend that you sell the AEM EMS V1. The AEM EMS is way more engine management that you need for a mild street car and the V1 is the worst version. Go with Hondata or Neptune and thank me when your engine starts and idles like stock.

By "MSD ignition" do you mean an external coil or just their Cap and rotor? I would probably recommend you return those parts to new OEM parts. A mild build doesn't need any more ignition power than stock and the OEM ignition parts are far superior than anything in the aftermarket in terms of quality.

Use the Zealworks compression calculator to calculate your new compression. P30 pistons will give you 11.53:1 CR. Thats pretty decent for pump gas.
http://www.zealautowerks.com/bseries.html

Nick_C78

I agree with returning or selling that MSD ignition system. That is a waste of money. I also think that ITR cams should be sufficient depending on what you else you do. I mean I am at 180whp with ITR cams, with the shittest header and exhaust known to god. Header is ebay stock GSR style with a 1.75 inch collector, holla :p

Evul9

I don't have a specific hp goal. Will I potentially make more than 175 with those pistons?

Is the AEM really that bad? It's running pretty good right now... but if I can sell the AEM abd buy hondata with that money I am for it.

Yes, the external ignition and everything. The previous owner only had it for 4 months so i assume all the mods were done by the guy before that had it for 7 years (carfax)

Also forgot to add that it has a DC ceramic header.

Thanks everyone for the info :thumbup:

Last edited:

Nick_C78

Whatever Nick, its still slow. 8)
Haha. Lets take this to a track.... with turns. ;) I am going to see if I can get 200ish with ITR cams on 1.8. Yay for the 200whp dream everybody has. Oh wait, let me reword that. "I am ONLY looking for about 200 whp NA."

Sorry for the thread jack OP, but what I am working on right now pertains to your current situation. Assuming you want to know what ITR cams can really do.