Removing stuck oil filter

RG400SmartTowel

My oil filter is stuck and i tried many tools to take it out. Is it Ok to run the car without changing the oil filter. the last time it has been changed was probably a long time ago but I don't remember since I just bought the car from the owner. What I was thinking was that since I cant get it out the next oil change i just take it to a shop to change my oil and they can change the oil filter too. But is it ok to run the car with the oil filter in without changing it but only changing the oil.

TypeR?

ive seen this happen a couple times because people dont lube the ring on the filter before putting it on. some times you just have to stab a screwdriver through it and turn but its messy so be prepared! and before you put the new filter on put some oil on the o-ring of the filter.

kcombs

GS=goes slow
ive seen this happen a couple times because people dont lube the ring on the filter before putting it on. some times you just have to stab a screwdriver through it and turn but its messy so be prepared! and before you put the new filter on put some oil on the o-ring of the filter.
x2 screwdriver through the oil filter ftw!

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Screwdriver through the filter FTL. I tried that, and it made an unbelievable mess, freakin oil everywhere. When I got the screwdriver through and tried to turn the filter it just tore through the body of the fitler, it still didn't come off.
Go to Home Depot and buy a pair of grippy gloves, they're only a few bucks for a pair:

You can get a grip on anything with these bad boys! Even after I had mangled and destroyed that filter with the screwdriver, I could still get a grip on what was left of it with these gloves and got it off first try.

Last edited:

kcombs

GS=goes slow
screwdriver through the oil filter was the only way i could get the oil filter off my old volvo.
worked wonders for me. now i just use my hand. teggy is easy to get off.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
screwdriver through the oil filter was the only way i could get the oil filter off my old volvo.
That because you didn't try it with grippy gloves! lol. No mess, less effort.

heykosal

Angkorian
screwdriver through the filter definetly has worked for me. but tegsox is right, you need to be careful and not just go caveman on it because the screwdriver WILL tear the filter apart.

next time you change your oil dont forget to lube the new filter!

a friend of mine uses the new fram filter that has a nut on the top where you can get a wrench around it, but oem ftw.

end005

I think almost all these guys gave you a tip unto how to take off the oil filter. you should be okay with that same filter but it isn't recommended..at all. if you can, try to get the filter off as soon as possible.
________
How To Make A Vaporizer

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
don't put it on so tight next time. lol

For the record, you don't need to put the oil filter on with all your strength. FYI for everyone. lol

Best thing to do it get it off I guess. we have these jaw grip things we use on those impossible ones at the shop. A shop might have a better get at it because they have the car in the air. I'm guessing your still on the ground underneath the car. That makes it no fun.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
don't put it on so tight next time. lol

For the record, you don't need to put the oil filter on with all your strength. FYI for everyone. lol
Yeah, really! The filter I had to fight with was on a 1999 Sentra, I was giving it it's first oil change since I'd bought it. An early sign of the nightmare experience owning that car would be! Later on I would figure out there was no need to do oil changes on it, I was putting in a fresh quart every 400-500 miles anyway because it was coming out the side of the engine through a blown main seal.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Just stab it with a screwdriver or use some big ass channel locks. They also do actually make an oil filter wrench as well

Backwoodz Tuner

Just stab it with a screwdriver or use some big ass channel locks. They also do actually make an oil filter wrench as well

Lol the screw driver trick works good, but it will make a nice mess, but sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do. Another good tip would be carefully heat it up a lil bit with a heat gun or a lil propane torch. That will help break up what evers holdin it on. Jus be careful not to light your engine wiring harness on fire, or any near by sensors.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
Yeah, really! The filter I had to fight with was on a 1999 Sentra, I was giving it it's first oil change since I'd bought it. An early sign of the nightmare experience owning that car would be! Later on I would figure out there was no need to do oil changes on it, I was putting in a fresh quart every 400-500 miles anyway because it was coming out the side of the engine through a blown main seal.
lol!! That's almost how my teg was... It was pretty bad, but whatever. lol

Vibe's are a pain in the ass from the factory.. that filter will not come off!!