Semi automatic gear switching 95 integra need help

01TegLuv

ok thanks :D, it sucks having a friend and brother that think they know what they are talking about when they dont -_-
who? me..? trying to troll? lol nah bro, i'm no expert, but i know what im talking about, maybe i explain it bad. but I know my car. i drive it ALOT, put alot of miles on it and been driving it for a while. I've gotten very used to how my car operates itself.
As far as down shifting, i never do, its an auto. I'm saying i only do during an emergency when you REALLY have to stop right this instant before you hit someone or some idiot who is not driving properly in front of you on the highway for example. And I do so with Braking, i dont down shift alone in an auto. Don't believe me, I am no guru, bash on my words all you want, but I've gotten so used to my car, I've noticed that in D4 it almost always shift from 3rd to 4rth right when you hit about 60. and as far as downshifting, im only speaking of downshifting from 4rth to 3rd where you dont even have to engage that little button on the shifter, (im talking about automatic transmission in this case based on the thread), you can just pull back and the shifter, slides back into 3rd with ease, its meant to shift between those two gears. I dont know, may sound stupid to you, but believe me when I tell you, I drive everyday, about 25miles a day sometimes, all over the new york metro area which is huge, I've noticed alot of little things about my car. When you drive your car so much it's not just a thing anymore, its like it becomes a part of your arm or something.

Anyway, the times ive had to brake and stop short and downshift from 4rth to 3rd it does so with ease, no jerking motions, no painful noises or anything. Now, shifting in auto, anywhere from first to third and back, does require correct judgement of the motor's rpms, if you're going too fast, down shift at the wrong time, yes its bad, 'cause its not shifting for you, you are. With stick you more so you have to learn to judge when to shift and have correct judgement of where in the rpm band you are and speed and into which gear and what not. Sometimes I would just judge naturally on current speed and sound of the motor, with smooth shifts, when I drive stick that is. Basically, you learn this through time, lots of practice and lots of driving. I tried one time, a while ago, when I first bought the car, what this member is talking about. From a complete stop, with auto, wide open throttle, in first, i hit redline then i shifted quickly to 2nd, and the car does not shift right. It's slow to shift, you lose power and it feels like you're straining it. It's just not designed to race. That's why you get stick to have full control of how you shift. Auto is meant for daily driving. It shifts early, usually at 2500-3000rpm depending on how much throttle. I have noticed though when you floor it, it does shift at about 5000rpm by itself. but, like i said before, i still dont recommend racing with an auto tranny. You can shift yourself yes, but Not as if you're on a track. If you shift in auto, give it a little gas and shift early, before you hit 3krpm, not 5, nice and smoothly how its meant to, if at all. Otherwise I dont recommend it. Only if you leave it in third, then it wont shift to fourth, you HAVE to shift to 4rth yourself. I do notice a little more power though. Since it's already in third and wont shift to fourth itself it will stay in third as you climb the rpms. Don't know if this makes any sense to you guys, or sounds like total horseschytt to you guys, but hey, im just speaking through my own experience with my own car i've gotten so used to. I love driving it though, in love with the integra, and dont care about driving any other car really. Cheers

01TegLuv

Unless you are his friend or brother, I don't think he was talking to you ;)

I <3 my manual :)
oh well, i assumed because he posted right after me, and 'cause me myself I call anyone a friend and everyone on here my teg brothers..lol

standard I love and is mad fun but annoying as balls in heavy traffic.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
I'm guessing he was referring to someone at home...

I have only had a couple automatics as my vehicles (my wife always has an auto...), and I just can't do it. Too much of a control freak, lol..

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
For everyone that says they downshift to stop quicker, it is not possible. Your motor will never stop you faster then your brakes will. It will not help with slowing down in any way. If you want to stop quicker, press your brakes harder. Professional drivers do not downshift to help with deceleration, they do so to keep their car in the optimal gear for acceleration.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Lol...this is very true. Think about it guys, you can press your brakes hard enough to lock up the tires, or engage the abs. How does downshifting accomplish more than this? Reverse thrusters?

k20wagon

For everyone that says they downshift to stop quicker, it is not possible. Your motor will never stop you faster then your brakes will. It will not help with slowing down in any way. If you want to stop quicker, press your brakes harder. Professional drivers do not downshift to help with deceleration, they do so to keep their car in the optimal gear for acceleration.
This ^

Resistance92

i highly recommend staying in D4. Auto Tegs just cant race...ive tried trust me lol (shame on me) and doing the D3 to D4 or vice versa i think is bad for the tranny. They already are hardshifters and have their flaws.

Trading my DB auto teg for a DC manual soon :D good thing ppl want 4 doors with a family lol.

01TegLuv

If you're on a track or circuit and going through a turn is different. I meant if you're going over 60 at high speed on the high way and have to stop real short to avoid someone else or an accident, for me I notice it does help to reduce engine speed as well as braking. Braking through corners then downshifting to accelerate through the apex of the turn is different. But at high speeds, on a straight away, and needing to stop real quick and hitting the brakes hard just wears down the pads, needing to replace them all the time, if you ask me, i've been in an accident once, when i was younger and stupid, i was going 110 in my first 93 Ls stick, in a drag, i had to slow down considerably before i hit this curve in the road at the end, in that speed i slammed on the brakes alone or else i would've hit a dead end, and lost control, swerved off the road, hit a tree, totaled my car. Yea, young and dumb, trial and error, you live and you learn. Now i have the 3rd gen. No accidents. Idk but for me it helps when you're going 80 or so and need to slow down to half speed, fast, the brakes themselves just dont do it unless you got a big brake kit. and my tranny is working fine. besides that, during normal driving i just use the breaks and drive almost always in D3 then leave in D4 after 60, or sometimes just in D4 and let it shift itself.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Idk but for me it helps when you're going 80 or so and need to slow down to half speed, fast, the brakes themselves just dont do it unless you got a big brake kit.
This is really not true, I'm not into calling people out, but unless your brakes aren't functioning, they are going to stop you way quicker then your engine. If you slammed on your brakes so hard you lost control, thats just inexperienced driving, no big deal, I've done it as well, but your brakes will still always stop you faster then your engine.

i highly recommend staying in D4. Auto Tegs just cant race...ive tried trust me lol (shame on me) and doing the D3 to D4 or vice versa i think is bad for the tranny. They already are hardshifters and have their flaws.
What is the difference if you shift up gears or the trans does it? Why would it be bad on the trans to do what it is made to do, shift gears?

Last edited:

k20wagon

If you don't have good brakes to where you need to down shift to help slow down to then upgrade your brake kit. I have powerslot rotors with hawk pads on my ep3 and they work like a charm, stop on a dime, gonna upgrade to rsx-s brakes for even more difference. I have slammed on my brakes numerous times from stupid drivers and stuff and they still look brand new and have had them for 3 yrs. Just upgrade your brakes before you screw up your down shifting brake and hit someone.