Spirited Driving & Track Talk

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
If you plan to do any autocrossing with your car, you can't use slicks in SCCA classes, unless you're running a Modified class, and that's not going to be very much fun for you.

However, you can run R-Compounds in any class except Street Touring and Street Modified.

I'm running G-Stock this year, on a set of 205/50ZR15 Kumho Ecsta V710s. I'm also picking up a set of the Kumho Ecsta XS. Tire contingency FTW. The Hoosier A6 is a great tire, but the Kumho wears better in my experience. The Kumho is about 99.5% as sticky as the Hoosier and about lasts about twice as long, especially on a light car like an Integra.

My performance driving mantra is actually taken from college basketball coaching legend John Wooden. "Be quick, but don't hurry." I say that to myself shortly before getting to the start line--reminds me to be patient where I need to be, and aggressive where I can be.

My full GS setup is this though...

Koni Sport shocks/struts
Kumho Ecsta XS or V710 tires (depending on weather, the V710s don't stick worth a crap in the rain)
Brembo Rotors
Hawk HP Plus pads
Oil pressure gauge
Optima dry cell battery

I've got a line on a nice looking bolt-in roll bar, but I don't want to attract THAT much attention on the street....I'd really only use it as a harness bar anyways...
Nice setup. You should look into the Sparco harness bar.

CONEV8R

Stock and I Like It.
Sparco harness bar is $439. I could get this entire roll bar setup for $300...just don't have an extra $300 at the moment....

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Sparco harness bar is $439. I could get this entire roll bar setup for $300...just don't have an extra $300 at the moment....
I didn't know it was that expensive. You're right, you're much better off getting a roll bar.

CONEV8R

Stock and I Like It.
Yeah, I suppose you're paying $150 for the bar, and $280 for the Sparco name. LOL.

I could find a "generic" harness bar for about $150-160, though. I'd rather have an easily removable harness bar than an obnoxious roll cage. Besides, with the roll cage, it would be impossible to drive anywhere without having 100 people trying to race me, and/or steal my car. LOL.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Yeah, I suppose you're paying $150 for the bar, and $280 for the Sparco name. LOL.

I could find a "generic" harness bar for about $150-160, though. I'd rather have an easily removable harness bar than an obnoxious roll cage. Besides, with the roll cage, it would be impossible to drive anywhere without having 100 people trying to race me, and/or steal my car. LOL.
I think a roll cage is overkill for a street car. I'm planning on getting an Auto Power race roll bar for the DB8.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
II wonder how much G-force I can pull too. Slicks are cheaper than R-compounds? I can get NT01s for $120/tire. And I can get g-Force R1s for about $180/tire. I don't know, but I think R-compounds are cheaper.
They aren't for me. I always buy my tires from tirerack because they are a great company and they properly heat cycle and shave the tires for you.

For the tires I run....

235/40-18 Yokohama ADVAN A048 (heat cycled and shaved to 4/32") = $324 a piece

265/35-18 BF Goodrich G-force R1 (heat cycled) = $263

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
They aren't for me. I always buy my tires from tirerack because they are a great company and they properly heat cycle and shave the tires for you.

For the tires I run....

235/40-18 Yokohama ADVAN A048 (heat cycled and shaved to 4/32") = $324 a piece

265/35-18 BF Goodrich G-force R1 (heat cycled) = $263
I never would've thought the A048 would be more expensive than the G-Force R1.

konerri

^In two weeks.

The civic will be running again. H-stock again. SSR wheels with 205/40/16 RT-615. Everything else is stock. i am taking pointers from a national champ. Learning about AutoX driving lines Vs circuit driving lines. Completely different in my opinion. In AutoX, your always setting yourself up for the next cones. You might have to sacrifice speed in one corner to make up for the right entry angle in the next. Sounds kinda strange but that's the way it works for me.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
If I can get off next week and the weather is nice I will probably go to MSR Houston for TX Supra Nationals road course event