Strip and paint - Valve cover (Non V-Tec) B18B1

TheSkygun

Well, I honestly think everyone is different when it comes to this stuff.

But, taking the vc off for me too about 20 mins. tops.
Cleaning and rinsing about 20 mins.
Stripping and sanding (depending on how good you want it to come out) an hour or two.
Taping was a breeze about 10 mins.
Sprayed the primer in about 5.

I did not bake, I set it under a heat lamp and fan for an hour.

2 temporary coats of whatever your using + dry time was about 2 hours.

Then, I finally put it all back together, and let it sit overnight in my heated garage.

Overall it took me about 6 hours (10 overnight dry hours) plus cleanup.

Of course there's more I should have done, but I would have done anything to get rid of that speckle.
Alright, that makes sense; except, why does it have to be someone heated for 10 hours to dry?

NintyNineLs

OFWGKTA
Alright cool, how long did you wait to put it back on then?
I didnt heat that either. I have read a different post that recommended baking,
but im almost posotive that when you turn your car on, it'll bake itself.

I waited exactly an hour.

All the paint was dry, and ready to handle.

Ganyon

Alright cool, how long did you wait to put it back on then?
I only waited 10 minutes plus the extra few it took to do my cam seal. I put it back on and ran the car for about 5 minutes.

TheSkygun

hmm i think i might attempt this this wednesday, depending on what else i need to do. might as well do the spark plugs, wires, and cam seal since its been a while.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
just remember the valve cover never gets hot to use high heat paint, it gets about 150-180 degrees tops

TheSkygun

ill remember that, makes finding a colored paint to use on it easier then. other then the brand mentioned earlier, what type of paint would be good? since high heat is unnecessary

ATEGGY94

just remember the valve cover never gets hot to use high heat paint, it gets about 150-180 degrees tops
can you tell me exactly what paint did you use which primer and which base coat yours came out very nice i want to do mines just like that

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
can you tell me exactly what paint did you use which primer and which base coat yours came out very nice i want to do mines just like that
duplicolor etching primer, which is green, and dupilcolor 500 degree engine enamel in flat black, only because that particular engine enamel is very resistant to oil spills etc. It has a relatively low curing temp since its not an extreme temp paint, which isnt needed on something like a valve cover. If you were looking to do something fancier like a paint color of a car with the pearls and metallics, duplicolor color match paints work well as well.

ATEGGY94

duplicolor etching primer, which is green, and dupilcolor 500 degree engine enamel in flat black, only because that particular engine enamel is very resistant to oil spills etc. It has a relatively low curing temp since its not an extreme temp paint, which isnt needed on something like a valve cover. If you were looking to do something fancier like a paint color of a car with the pearls and metallics, duplicolor color match paints work well as well.
thanks and hop i like it exactly the way you have it in pics

TheSkygun

yeah i second the liking as yours came out, except im going with metallic purple to match some other parts.

NintyNineLs

OFWGKTA
Besides ordering the duplicolor online. I have checked out a few auto shops and they don't carry it either. I must be checking the wrong shops. Any idea where to pick this up