trans rebuild problems

hypnotiq

hi, im new to rebuilding transmissions. i did it myself using a few guides on the internet. here is my issue. 1,2,3,5 shift fine.....4,R are really hard to get into.
now before you ask what fluid and all this. the trans is empty due to me having to remove the trans to fix the shift assembly.
i put the trans pack in the car to do a shift test. 1,2,3,5 are easy to get into(although are not in the same location as they were when i did the rebuild) and 4,R is really difficult to get into gear.

what could be the problem?

reason for rebuild is ISB was no more. and reason for doing it myself is i dont have $1000 to have someone else rebuild it.

thanks

hypnotiq

i think it has something to do with the linkage. cause now that i lowered the car off the jacks it now will go in after holding in there for a few seconds. i might try to loosen the cross member support and retighten it. might help

hypnotiq

ok. so now i can get it into fourth and reverse. but in order to do 4th i have to go like im going into reverse then angle it towards where 4th would be and it will slip right into gear. but just going straight to 4th, it wont even go no matter how hard i force it. mounts off center?

96LSteg

Jemel
Did you use feeler gauges to make sure all gears and synchros are spaced properly?

Did you have to force the bell housing back on or did it fall back on?

Did you bleed your clutch line (assuming you have a hydro trans)?

Nick_C78

Synchro and clutch wouldnt matter because he is testing it with the engine off...

However OP, you are testing it dry. Throw some fluid in there and see if that helps, but it does sound like a linkage issue. You didnt do something silly like mount the linkage upside down right?

96LSteg

Jemel
Synchro and clutch wouldnt matter because he is testing it with the engine off...

However OP, you are testing it dry. Throw some fluid in there and see if that helps, but it does sound like a linkage issue. You didnt do something silly like mount the linkage upside down right?
This is true. My next thing was going to be the fluid lol

hgocasca

level 77 troll
This is why you pay a shop. Congrats, now you can remove it and have someone who actually knows what they're doing fix your work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96LSteg

Jemel
This is why you pay a shop. Congrats, now you can remove it and have someone who actually knows what they're doing fix your work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is also how you learn.....OP dont let your mistake stray you away from DIY....youll save alot of money