Transmission Help

97tegkid

How its going guys

Alright so I went and bought a 91 Integra
Its got a b18a1 and automatic transmission

I only paid 550 for it and its clean no rust at all

I was told it needed a torque Converter. When you put the car into gear stalls right away wont move at all. It idles perfectly fine.

I can get it to move if you shift it while pushing the gas and test drove it that way, it runs good but it shifts kind of hard figuring this is from the torque converter?

Basically want to know what you guys think the problem is. All fluids looked good.

Thanks ahead of time and ill be searching a lot to trying to find answers

97tegkid

Instead of making a new thread figured id bump this one and ask my other question.

After some searching Ive seen some guys are using the mp7a auto as a upgrade and handles more hp plus abliity to swap in the B20

Is this a direct swap in my 91? If not what might I have to worry about in doing the swap.

I ordered a torque converter already but just want to know my options is the trans has problems also

Also ive been searching but haven't found any luck. Whats the name of the automatic I have now?

Last edited:

97tegkid

If you haven't fixed this yet it may not be the torque convertor. It could be a solenoid staying open.
I ordered the torque converter so hopefully that fixes ill know this coming weekend when I get that replaced. Is there a way to diagnose if its a solenoid or no?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Yes you can check if the solenoid is stuck. It sound like your lock up solenoid is keeping the TC locked, that's why it works during driving but stalls when stopped.

97tegkid

Okay thanks did a little searching and saw about the solenoids. Ill try pulling those and cleaning the screens and see what happens

97tegkid

So today I cleaned the solenoids on the transmission. Also tried unplugging them to see if that would let it unlock but nothing worked. Still does the same thing.

Planning on putting the new torque converter in tomorrow so ill see how that goes.

Was there any other way of checking the solenoid?

And the solenoids are on the front of the transmission correct?

Last edited:

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
The solenoids will be on the top of the transmission, they are the semi-rectangular things sticking out of the housing.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Unplugging them won't work if they're stuck. They are fairly cheap and while sometimes cleaning may help, most of the time they just get worn out and the valve gets stuck open or closed, in your case it sounds like its stuck open.

Hopefull the TC solves your problem but I don't think it will.

97tegkid

Well thanks for everyones help.

Changed out the torque converter today and everything works perfect.

It was a long day but got it done.

97tegkid

Alright guys we'll i got my torque converter changed out and everything seemed to work good.

I got the car tagged this past weekend starting driving it around and it's acting up
I left work today and it acted like the torque converter was bad again. Stalled on me twice once I got it going it drove but shifting gears is not the smoothest and when the trans downshifts it's pretty hard.

The downshifting hard keeps happening, late shifts and not smooth shifts happen all the time to.

Basically I'm wondering a few things

1. I don't have honda fluid in the trans it has the castrol multi vehicle. I plan on changing that I ordered a case already just waiting for it to be delivered. Is this what's causing my problem?

2. Do I just need to get a new transmission if so can someone point me to a great 5 speed swap thread cause I won't put another automatic in it.

Thanks ahead of time