Type R Piston Question!

95teg

Say i got type-r pistons and used my gs-r rods. Would it really matter if i used them vs. the type-r rods. Or would you reccomend me using Type-R Rods with the Type-R pistons?? Thanks..

Baldy201

I would recomend the ITR rods, they are stronger than the GSR rods. If you dont have the money the GSR rods will do fine as long as you dont want to rev to 9000 or above.

95teg

what would i want also..? STD, .020, .030, .040 OVERSIZED..

milanoLS

Actually, if you keep the gsr rods you can fit the itr pistons perfectly. If you go with itr rods you will have to have them modified by a machine shop. EXTRA 120.00. And GSR rods have been proven to handle 300hp. Not sure if that flywheel or whp though. Either way with that high of a compression you are not running boost and all motor I dont forsee you hitting those numbers. So your safe. My dad and good friend have a b20/vtec running 13:1 compression and skunk2 cams. There is alot put into it. Anyways he is the one who advised the info I am relaying to you know. You want to try to go over as little overbore as possible. Because if something goes wrong with this rebuild you may need to rebore again. You wanna save a little space for the future. .10 is reccommended.

BoostedITR41

milanoLS said:
Actually, if you keep the gsr rods you can fit the itr pistons perfectly. If you go with itr rods you will have to have them modified by a machine shop. EXTRA 120.00. And GSR rods have been proven to handle 300hp. Not sure if that flywheel or whp though. Either way with that high of a compression you are not running boost and all motor I dont forsee you hitting those numbers. So your safe. My dad and good friend have a b20/vtec running 13:1 compression and skunk2 cams. There is alot put into it. Anyways he is the one who advised the info I am relaying to you know. You want to try to go over as little overbore as possible. Because if something goes wrong with this rebuild you may need to rebore again. You wanna save a little space for the future. .10 is reccommended.
to a point you are right but the stock sleeves maximum bore is 81.5mm so go std. unless you are sleeving the motor then go with a 82-83mm

95teg

so STD. and use GS-R rods.. i dont plan to get 300 whp. anytime soon.. also do you know where i could get some type-r pistons or good ones made by a different co. for a good price..

95teg

how do you tell they are real, i dont even know what to look for really.. what are they P73 or something like that??..hmm

DownShift96GSR

P73 is the code for ITR, P72 is the code for the GSR. If you want compression, get the PR3 pistons. The ones from the B16A. With those pistons alone I can jump my GSR from a 10:1 to an 11.4:1. Pretty sweet huh?

95teg

thats VERY sweet.. thats what im looking for.. so need some B16 pistons eh! and where did u get yours? are they OEM?

Nd4sped

95teg said:
how do you tell they are real Type-R pistons also?
Get a micrometer and measure the rods...Then look in your HOnda Service Manual, which can be found on teh ClubCivic Hub or antwhere on teh interent and match the measurements.

Baldy201

milanoLS said:
Actually, if you keep the gsr rods you can fit the itr pistons perfectly. If you go with itr rods you will have to have them modified by a machine shop
MD from TeamIntegra.net said:
The B18C1, B18C5, and B16B rod are 1.96-2 mm narrower (0.858 in. vs. 0.935 in. in non-R rods) at the crank end (or rod "big end") and will not fit on the other Honda B series cranks or pistons.

Rod Length-B18C's 137.9 mm
So how are the ITR rods not fit with the GSR block? How will they need to be modified to fit? I am not trying to be an ass, I am trying to get the correct information out there.

95teg- What compression ratio are you looknig for? Is it 10.5 or 11? Correct the rev limiter will not let you go to 9000 but if you plan on doing Hondata or any other thing you can set your own rev limit.

95teg

well probably 10.5 but 11 would be nice.. so im actually not sure, the idea is yet in the air... so ur saying i have to use the type-r rods.. (what about b16 rods & pistons? would that change anything)?

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
if you are going to sleeve the motor, put in 84mm B20 sleeves. youll get the extra torque that everyone wants. dont get caught up with the piston being a "type R'. its just extra displacement. if you dont need to rebore, and all you need is a hone, then you might be able to fit a std size R or B16 piston in your motor. if not, then bore to 84.25 and get the .25 over pistons.

you can tell if they are real type R pistons if they have the correct piston code on it. i think Type Rs are P73. not sure about that one.