Went racing and won one lost one

JordanB21

So first I'll just go with how the race went.

First I raced a near stock non-vtec integra that had exhaust and probably an air filter.
Pulled two car lengths on the guy, so hells yeah!
Second guy I raced was driving a 4dr civic non-vtec and honestly I don't know why I lost this one and I didn't get a chance to ask him what he had done. Race was a little sloppy though, we pulled from a 40mph roll and we pulled from a 20 mph roll instead of a stand still which caught me off guard as far as shifting, but even when I was able to get my shifts right I wasn't able to catch back up and started to slowly climb when I got to about 90mph.

Anyways here's what I have done:
Supertech valvetrain
Port work on the exhaust side
JDM b20z head (not that it matters but it's basically all new)
gsr header, test pipe, rs axle back (I also have a vibrant exhaust, honestly don't which is better but the vibrant exhaust was quieter)
K&N 2'' air filter with ram air intake.

The guy pulled what I would say is about 2-3 car lengths on me (still blaming the weird ass roll start we did)
I was trying to think of what else I could do without scrapping my head since I have like 600 dollars into it.

Suggestions? I was thinking intake and gears afterwards, but I'm not sure intake alone would be enough.
I remember reading (about to go find the thread) that a gsr or b16 intake nets better gains than say a skunk 2 intake or other aftermarket intake (but it requires drilling).

As far as gears everyone seems to stand by the crower cams but which? It is essentially a daily driver but I personally wouldn't mind more lift even if it sacrificed drive ability (I mean, how much loss of drive-ability are we even talking?) and I certainly should be able to handle more lift with the valvetrain.

I know many say it isn't worth build a non-vtec but it seems to make more sense to stand by it at this point? disagree? points?

Lets get a good discussion thread going

Edit: also for fun here a list of cars I need to be faster than ;) lol. 1985 300zx turbo, 1986 iroc z (305), 2006 mustang gt, 1998 mk3 jetta, 2003 inline 5 sohc z3, and the fastest of us a 2013 5.0 with exhaust and intake... Last one is far fetched to beat but the rest are no problem, I think.

Last edited:

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Meh.

Hit the track bro.

Focus on pistons, LS comp is garbage for NA. You can run higher comp pistons and not have to tune for some extra power. The LS runs on the rich side.

After determining your pistons you can play with cams. There's no need for a big ass cam if your gonna throw in pistons later and have clearance issues.

Murphy

Meat Master
You're not going to be faster than any GT in a straight line lol. There's always going to be a faster car than you no matter what car you own.

I would just do performance enhancing with maintenance work so you're not wasting money.

Nick_C78

Wait....you put 600 dollars in to the head...why? Also why port exhaust side only. Honda exhausts are already pretty big in ratio to the intake.

I will be the dick though and say leave your car the way it is. You are street racing. I don't condone that so its better to leave you slow.

JordanB21

Meh.

Hit the track bro.

Focus on pistons, LS comp is garbage for NA. You can run higher comp pistons and not have to tune for some extra power. The LS runs on the rich side.

After determining your pistons you can play with cams. There's no need for a big ass cam if your gonna throw in pistons later and have clearance issues.
Any style of piston recommended/brand? I've heard good things about going b16 since they're oem. but I haven't done any research into them.

Good point, but even if the cams were too big and caused piston to valve clearance issues I would probably stamp in valve reliefs for safety of the engine. After breaking my timing belt on stock cams (stock cams clear the pistons) I rather have the peace of mind of valve reliefs.

We have no idea what the amount of money you have available to do any of this is.
500-1000 realistically.
ugh.. to be 17 again...
ugh.. to be a wanker...

You're not going to be faster than any GT in a straight line lol. There's always going to be a faster car than you no matter what car you own.

I would just do performance enhancing with maintenance work so you're not wasting money.
Basically what I've been doing.
Maintenance wise I have done;
New distributor
New brass rotor
New spark plugs and wires
New rod bearings
New piston rings
New valvestem seals
New PCV valve
New battery
New radiator
New crankshaft position sensor
Was missing my back timing belt covers so order those from honda
New crankshaft pulley from honda
New powersteering, a/c, and alternator belt
New Headgasket
New head as mentioned before
New battery terminals
New starter
New intake and exhaust gaskets

Cleaned the f*** out the TB since it was gunked to hell

My only weak points are the transmission, cv joints need replacing, ball joints need replacing, and I really want to replace the crankshaft bearings and rod bolts before I go nuts or add boost. Oh and my skunk2 coil overs are really s***ty, the spring rate is too lower and I need a way thicker rear sway bar to be able to corner like I want to.
I'm sure I'm forgetting some things iIve done.

Currently it drives with no check engine light versus the day I got it it came on after driving for 10 minutes after just buying (yeah, tell me how I know how to pick em').
Wait....you put 600 dollars in to the head...why? Also why port exhaust side only. Honda exhausts are already pretty big in ratio to the intake.

I will be the dick though and say leave your car the way it is. You are street racing. I don't condone that so its better to leave you slow.
I got the head free with the valvetrain I got which cost 300 dollars all together (valvetrain is like 600 new), and then I had a shop assemble it since I didn't trust myself with that and that was like 220 or so.
The head was already ported on the exhaust side, just a bonus of it being included in the sale, and I'm pretty sure the intake side is suppose to have a textured feel to the ports versus polished and smoothed over.

You can 'leave me slow' but I know enough about my car to make it or another fast (like my mustang gt, or the camaro I'm picking up soon).

Oh yeah. TOTALLY let me just throw on a turbo that's worth more than the car itself and not even consider supporting mods. gtfo unless you want to be realistic.

You'll be the new drift king with that supercharged 1.8l
Okay, you're clearly a faggot but if you wanted to say talk superchargers the jrsc always peaked my interest. I've just always been skeptical to even buy one because they're a smaller blower than the vtec mounted ones and I don't feel like the 35-50 horsepower is really worth 700-1500 that it'll take to install and tune it. Atleast not without supporting mods like a healthy engine, cams, and intake. The only 'real' benefit I saw when I looked into it was the gains in torque and the overall gains in power throughout the RPM band versus peak power.

Wow! Cool story.
Can you just not post in my thread?

Last edited: