What's the best Oil for a GSR!?

Cripton805

Go with the Castrol 10w 40 works good on my war i use it every time.
That is wayyyyy too thick!!! Unless you're 110 degrees+. I dont see how you're engine is not slowly being damaged and still I wouldn't use that. Most Honda engines rev higher than most cars and require thinner oils to lubricate properly at the higher redline. It sticks more to the bottom of the block and doesn't lubricate the piston that well.

cold climate or newer car, always 5w-30 unless you get insane cold (I DOUBT!) 0w-30
average climate-warm-hot, high milage 80-100k+ 10w-30 until the engine dies.

Last edited:

Alvi84

I use 5w-30 castrol synthetic in Iowa weather. Yesterday was 2 degrees with a windchill of -9. Car starts just fine. I used to use the Royal Purple ($8 a quart) but switched to Castrol Synthetic and haven't noticed and difference other than my wallet stays fuller. I could be wrong but I think the book suggests Castrol Synthetic for my 96 GsR.

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
I've used castrol syntech 10w30 for a while know but my body with a WRX said when he switched to castrol from mobil1 he felt it wasn't running right so he went back to mobil1, so im going to try mobil1 soon and see the difference over time between the 2

8-bit

do what now?
i know that you can switch from sythethic to covential any time, you want just drain all the oil out.
i used castrol fully synthetis and fram filter for awhile in my LS. (high milage oil filter and oil too)

obama'swhiteson

i say use synthetic oil like royal purple, think of sythetic as a hot fine lady thats attracked to heat, then think of your normal non sythetic oil as a fat chick that runs away from the heat, theres no competition

Hunter1208

Integralove
Royal Purple is for race engines. Why use that for DD unless you want to wase $

Mobil 1 full synthetic
10w-30 after 80-100k

Question... (sorry for threadjacking) what's the benifits of changing the oil weight? And is it ok to do with a 450hp + car?

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
Question... (sorry for threadjacking) what's the benifits of changing the oil weight? And is it ok to do with a 450hp + car?
on a higher milage vehicle, cars tend to burn or use some oil.... changing the oil weight to a thicker viscosity will allow the older worn out engine to burn or use less oil.

and on a 450+ car, you should be using thicker oil anyways