What's the best tranny to get?

type r, b16, gsr
itr with lsd ftw
Aside from the B16 in it's cable incarnation, all of those transmissions will require him to run a cable to hydro conversion.

OP, What are you doing with the car? If you're driving the highway daily in it, stick with the LS trans for gas mileage.
For spirited driving, go with a 92-93 USDM GSR (YS1,) or JDM B16 (Y1, S1, J1, or YS1). Some of the XSi's came with LSD from the factory. You can try and find one of them.

heritage36

brokentalon has you on the right track man. I would say it depends what you are doing as far as driving. If you are on the freeway a lot, a YS1 is a good medium I think. Don't get a J1 for freeway driving unless you are putting an LS 5th gear in it.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
No. XSi's were FWD B16s.
The Integra you're thinking if is a 3rd gen model.
And they have the same gear ratio as the USDM Type R, I had one in my b20 powered crx and hated it. I do a lot of highway cruising and the short gears drove me absolutely nuts. In 5th gear doing 65-70 the thing was begging for 6th gear lol.

brokentalon has you on the right track man. I would say it depends what you are doing as far as driving. If you are on the freeway a lot, a YS1 is a good medium I think. Don't get a J1 for freeway driving unless you are putting an LS 5th gear in it.
Agreed.
I shipped my GSR because the difference in the cost of gas from Tx to Va and the shipping cost was negligible.

And they have the same gear ratio as the USDM Type R, I had one in my b20 powered crx and hated it. I do a lot of highway cruising and the short gears drove me absolutely nuts. In 5th gear doing 65-70 the thing was begging for 6th gear lol.
I realize the gearing is nearly the same. I was making a point that he would need a conversion kit to run the transmissions listed in the first 2 answers.
I agree with you on the short gears on the highway. I had an lsd b16 trans in my DB7 and the stock YS1 is in my DB2 and both could really benefit from a 6th gear. I was at 65 mph doing nearly 4k rpms on the highway today.

jdean41

Id go with a ys1. I love the feel of a ys1. they are geared a little lower but not as low as a b16 or gsr tranny. And they are strong as hell.

heritage36

I will say for a YS1 that I have had a few of them and never had a problem with one, they are good transmissions when taken care of, but you could say that of most honda transmissions that are manual