Wheel Stud Replacement

osiris19

I had two break and took it to firestone took the dudes 3 hrs to get the hub off

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Lots of PB blaster and a hammer will make that much easier.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

mdan9193

Mdan
Lol @ 500 for a $3 stud. Sounds like I should just replace the whole hub, cheaper?

PS. I don't work on my own car when it.comes to mechanical things.

BankiBoi

Lol @ 500 for a $3 stud. Sounds like I should just replace the whole hub, cheaper?

You can't replace it as easy as it sounds your still going to have to get the old hub off if I'm right.

You could always use a Grinder!! Think that's the quickest cheapest way

Posted by Thunderbolt using tapatalk

osiris19

Its the labor involved. Most shops quote around $80+ an hour around here.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

Hockridge

It is easy to replace studs
i work in a tire shop. i do this all the time its very simple...buy the new studs and nuts... remove brake rotor. pound old studs out with brass or lead hammer from hub via the front. they comeout pretty easily.they are held in by a spline that gets crushed flat to hold them in. try not to use a steel hammer though because you can damage the wheel bearing. reach behind the hub with new stud and place in hole. there is a special tool for installing them but you can cheat that with a stack of oversized flat washers and a lug nut you are not going to use on the wheel. now just tighten the nut till the spline on the stud is all the way seated. best using an air gun to reinstall. if that is unavailable you can put the brakes back together with the new stud flopping around and ask a buddy to hold the brake petdal while you tighten them. when finished tighten wheel to 100 ft-lbs.
Car Performance Chip