Which is better, to restore my headlights or purchase new ones

jznsn2u

the blue magic lens restore is like 5.99 and makes the meguirs plastx look like garbage..makes mine look brand new everytime i use it
Meguiars also sells a kit that comes with a rotary sanding pads and polishing wheels. It works well from what I've seen. Plastx is alright but seriously dont expect to get a super clean headlight by just polishing it. You'd have to sand it down. Basically the outcome of the headlight is determined on your preparation.

You said meguiars looks like "garbage". Hence, you ain't trying hard enough or you just suck. :roll:

mirrorimg

The 2000 higher grit is to reduce the scratches from the 1500 grit, preparing it for polish. The finer you go, the smoother/clearer the housing will be.

You can surely go from 1500 to polish, but it may take a little longer to polish out the scratches created by the 1500.

BeatBox

Real Good!
i used this, pretty easy just takes patience
harbor freight carries it but its $24 :( but works :)

ImElvis

Sup yo'
Meguiars also sells a kit that comes with a rotary sanding pads and polishing wheels. It works well from what I've seen. Plastx is alright but seriously dont expect to get a super clean headlight by just polishing it. You'd have to sand it down. Basically the outcome of the headlight is determined on your preparation.

You said meguiars looks like "garbage". Hence, you ain't trying hard enough or you just suck. :roll:
My brother's '01 LS has some super hazed up headlight lenses, and I was wondering would it be possible for headlight lenses to get so hazed to the point where it had to be replaced considering it's an '01? Or would it just mean we'd have to spend longer amounts of time sanding it /with lower grit like 400-600 to get rid of the haze?

JGvtec

My brother's '01 LS has some super hazed up headlight lenses, and I was wondering would it be possible for headlight lenses to get so hazed to the point where it had to be replaced considering it's an '01? Or would it just mean we'd have to spend longer amounts of time sanding it /with lower grit like 400-600 to get rid of the haze?
Ill be making a DIY head light restoration tomorrow hopefully. I will be wet sanding my 97 Pontiac headlights. They are terrible. Its a lot easier if you have a buffer or a drill head.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
I used the Tutle Wax product on my teg. It turned out great. after i polished them out, i hit the lights with some regular spray can clear coat to keep em from hazing., The kit was $20 bucks or less from either autozone or advance. It comes with 4 different grit pads

Before:

After:

ImElvis

Sup yo'
Ill be making a DIY head light restoration tomorrow hopefully. I will be wet sanding my 97 Pontiac headlights. They are terrible. Its a lot easier if you have a buffer or a drill head.
Sick, I'll be looking forward to checking it out.

I used the Tutle Wax product on my teg. It turned out great. after i polished them out, i hit the lights with some regular spray can clear coat to keep em from hazing., The kit was $20 bucks or less from either autozone or advance. It comes with 4 different grit pads
That's how my brother's LS is but his it a bit yellow.

96Marine

Go to your bathroom get some toothpaste and put about a dap for each lens. Boom cheap cleaning and you don't have to go to the store. Your headlights will be minty fresh!

1bad1integra

Go to your bathroom get some toothpaste and put about a dap for each lens. Boom cheap cleaning and you don't have to go to the store. Your headlights will be minty fresh!
x2...unless you dont brush your teeth, this should be free. worked great for me, might need to repeat a couple times depending on how bad they are.

1sloDC2

I've done the plastx route several times. Works well, but you end up with hazy headlights in just a few weeks and have to re-do them. Most kits tend to work out well, but last time I used a kit I ended up with haze in a matter of months. When I had my tiburon, I had pitted headlights, and they were only three years old at the time. Like what others have mentioned, I did the sanding route and went all the way up to 2000 grit. Finished it off with meguiar's polishing compound in the tan bottle and it worked pretty well. Applied plastx about once a month for a follow-up. Granted it's not going to be the same as a brand new light, but it works pretty well. Granted after a year they start to haze up again, but it's not a hard job to restore them.