why do people turbo ls engines?

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
if you just put arp rod bolts in you can rev that bitch to like 9 grand on a good tune. i would not recommend boosting a b20 tho
9k rpm on a LS...for what reason? Your not making power on a LS at 9k rpms.

And why would you not reccomend boosting a b20? My B20 seemed to do just fine on boost. I think I am going to make a thread to point out all the wrong information that gets tossed around daily in the Honda world, such as B20s and boost don't mix

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2026738&highlight=post+boosted+b20

^^ Read the post by username AROD in that thread, 26lbs of boost, 600hp, stock sleeved b20, so much for them not handling boost huh lol. Granted it does have a block gaurd, but even with that, just shows that b20 sleeves can handle more abuse then they are given credit for

My fav b20 vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYEsb2SOvkU&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
i dont know the pros and cons of each i do know, mine held 22psi for a while, then my girl sent a rod thro the block lol now its just back to NA
on 22psi you must have had a built bottom end and a good fuel system...possibly sleeves too.

mjones73

Well since you've done it before would you recommend me keeping it non-vtec and turboing it, or make it vtec and then turbo it?
Adding LS/VTEC into the mix just adds complication, how much power are you trying to make?

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
The b18 is pretty good for turbos as far as running stock internals on about 10 pounds, and if you just put arp rod bolts in you can rev that bitch to like 9 grand on a good tune. i would not recommend boosting a b20 tho

AcuraIntegLS

"Get you some"
But my engine doesn't have the stock internals? It's a b18a1 with b16 internals. That's why I'm confused on what to do haha

AcuraIntegLS

"Get you some"
Please elaborate on "B16 Internals".....
Well honestly the only thing I can tell you is b16 internals lol I got it the way it is, and that's what I was told he did to the motor. I'd assume it's all b16 crank, rods, pistons, and cams

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Im gonna go on a limb and say B16 pistons only. No one in their right mind puts a b16 crank in an LS lol, and b16 cams wont work in an LS head.

AcuraIntegLS

"Get you some"
Im gonna go on a limb and say B16 pistons only. No one in their right mind puts a b16 crank in an LS lol, and b16 cams wont work in an LS head.
Lol uhh... Well shit I'm glad someone knew the answer to that because I was just going off what the guy told me. I guess I'll just have to tear it apart to find out for sure :/

evilminion88

I ate the bones
Well that guy was smokin something to say B16 internals+cams in a B18a1. Like said earlier, ls-vtec just adds complications when boosting. Plus, LS motors are easier to boost cus there is no vtec so it is easier to tune, its more straight forward.

mirrorimg

The b18 is pretty good for turbos as far as running stock internals on about 10 pounds, and if you just put arp rod bolts in you can rev that bitch to like 9 grand on a good tune. i would not recommend boosting a b20 tho
9k rpm on a LS...for what reason? Your not making power on a LS at 9k rpms.
Not to mention the valve float you would experience, causing catastrophic failure of the engine.

Kent_racing

ls vtec is just a pain in the ass you will always be adjusting your timing, dont waste your money on that an just go non v turbo wayyyy better, and if you have b16 pistons you want to take those out cuz its gunna fuck up your bottom compression get those b18a1 pistons back in there if you thinking about boosting it