Wrecked my DA in a 3 car accident today

Mike61096

17 yr. old Integra Modder
Either 1) youb are letting the clutch go too fast or 2) you are giving too much gas
And how do I figure out the proper ratio of the 2? I drove home from school today and got stuck behind a f#### school bus. Stalled once, chirped the tires at least 3 times. Its killing me and more than likely my car's front tires and clutch. Neither of which I can afford to replace.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2 Using Tapatalk 2

MiketheDyke

My job is clean toilets
The clutch kit is $100 from tunersports for an exedy oe replacement.

Driving stick is very stressful. Sometimes I stalled for the dumbest reasons, like forgetting its in gear while parking, then I stall.

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
And how do I figure out the proper ratio of the 2? I drove home from school today and got stuck behind a f#### school bus. Stalled once, chirped the tires at least 3 times. Its killing me and more than likely my car's front tires and clutch. Neither of which I can afford to replace.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2 Using Tapatalk 2
Slip the clutch more

Mike61096

The clutch kit is $100 from tunersports for an exedy oe replacement.

Driving stick is very stressful. Sometimes I stalled for the dumbest reasons, like forgetting its in gear while parking, then I stall.
I know it's not that expensive, but I get payed minimum wage ($7.25/h). Since school started my hours are being cut drastically to where I'll only be payed max $130 each week. $75 of each weeks paycheck has to go towards paying off the car and the rest is for gas. Not saying I can't afford a replacement clutch, I'm saying I couldn't afford to have a mechanic replace it. I could do it probably do it myself...but I don't have that much time for the car to be out of commission and I don't have the best tools for the job.

I just need to stfu, stop acting like a b**** about it and get in the car an drive. I have no other choice but to master this. Considering it was my decision to get a 5 speed, I gotta pay the price now.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
hills take alot of practice...

it is just a matter of training your foot to quickly go from braking to gas while letting the clutch out just right.

If u were out this way I take ya up to San Francisco... there it is pretty much learn or die hahaha

It really doesn't matter how good you are at driving a stick, it is almost impossible to not roll back even a small amount on a steep incline. The best bet is to just find a hill away from traffic and practice driving up & down until you get to where yoyu are cozy doing it.

Mike61096

hills take alot of practice...

it is just a matter of training your foot to quickly go from braking to gas while letting the clutch out just right.

If u were out this way I take ya up to San Francisco... there it is pretty much learn or die hahaha

It really doesn't matter how good you are at driving a stick, it is almost impossible to not roll back even a small amount on a steep incline. The best bet is to just find a hill away from traffic and practice driving up & down until you get to where yoyu are cozy doing it.
Yea, I practiced using my driveway cus it's uphill, and I'm definitely a lot better now. Not perfect, but I did do a couple of great starts and then some not so great.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
If your worries about hills, all you need to do is use your E-Brake. Pull it up, give gas and pull out clutch, once you feel the clutch grabbing and the car wanting to move, drop the e-brake and go. Much easier than trying to quickly engage the clutch.

Mike61096

If your worries about hills, all you need to do is use your E-Brake. Pull it up, give gas and pull out clutch, once you feel the clutch grabbing and the car wanting to move, drop the e-brake and go. Much easier than trying to quickly engage the clutch.
I can't for the life of me do the e-brake thing. I stall more trying to do that then just using the foot brake.

R13

The other asshole
It's funny watching people learn to drive manual... as long as its not my own car :mrgreen:

CokeSlap

I'll get whip lash from all the times I stalled practicing hill starts in my uphill driveway.
Haha I know the feel man! Stick with it (See what I did there?) and you will get it. I picked up my db2 and pretty much self taught myself how to drive the sucker on the way home. I had been given a crash course on driving a stick a few years prior in a friends old accord but I went maybe a block, so I don't really count that. But as lame as it sounds the night before I went to pick up my car I mentally practiced driving and found some videos that helped visualize everything to make the trip home go fairly smooth for a beginner.

http://youtu.be/B59-pWSPoZU

This guy had a few different videos that I watched and paid particular attention to and it helped me get the basics down.

I am also lucky that my neighborhood is rather hilly so I got all my hill stall hijinx done in relative safety.

Anyway take a look at some of his videos and I think it would really help you out! Good luck!

GonzoDA9

I just read the first page of the thread, and I am truly sorry for your loss... Another DA gone.. But , now correct me if I'm wrong, weren't you the one who was trying to do a 5speed conversion? If so, a new door has opened up... JUNK THE CAR. Save up or throw that money down on another DA, 5speed, and your problem is solved, not everything can be done in a blink of an eye, but you can get it done and do it right.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
The first time I had to drive stick was when I was the surprise DD. I had never done it before and I had to learn from 2 drunk people in a Mustang lol
I still do stupid things sometimes, usually letting off the clutch way before I finish shifting. When I first got the Miata I nearly stalled every time I set off, and by that time I had been driving stick for 3 years.

Most of it is just driving around and getting better at it. Pretty soon it will feel natural. Now whenever I drive an automatic I feel like I'm forgetting something, I move my foot around looking for a clutch pedal and grab the shift lever, then I remember that I don't have to.