Can't pull the head off my b18c1. HELP!!

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Im under the impression that he checked that since he asked if that bracket could be permanently removed.

CH33Z3B4LL3R

no I havnt touched it today. my car is in my friends backyard (hoa will fine me $750 just for popping my hood) I'm going back over on Saturday. I'll try taking that IM bracket out first thing, it was a pain trying to get around that thing to get the bolts loose >=\ then come to find out I should've take it off FIRST thing! im mad now lol

CH33Z3B4LL3R

before I reach this point, I've help pull an f22b1 and it had bolted on links for the full pull, this b18 doesn't have those so what should I wrap a chain around? (im leaving the tranny in the car)

R13

The other asshole
if the bolts are out of the Intake to the bracket then you shouldn't have to remove it, If you're going to put top end gaskets in it, see if removing the intake from the head helps, if nothing else it may reveal what's holding it

Here, don't know if it will help but i found this on honda tech

disconnect your battery first
disconnect your intake
take off your accessory belts; powersteering, alternator, ac belt
unplug all ur sensors/vacuum lines that are connected to the head
remove your driverside tire to have easier access to your crank pully
remove your crank pully
IF you still have the intake manifold bracket (the pain in the ***) you have to remove 4 bolts holding the bracket to the block, it's a 10mm or 12mm not sure which one... i went under the car to remove em...
unbolt the 10mm nuts for your valve cover
unbolt your cam cap bolts (12mm) from the center n work your way to the edge
in sequence how i did mine:
10 5 1 3 7
9 6 2 4 8
the the last 4 10mm bolts on the driver side
before you take off the cam rails, make which one goes on top of the intake side and which one goes on the exhaust side.
you can use a flat head screw driver and CAREFULLY pry the cam caps off..
(when you put em back on there are these lil arrows the all have to point towards the cam gears, there are also lil numbers stamped on them and you'll re-install in this sequence: 4 3 2)
take all the bolts out
remove cam rails
get a 14mm i believe with an rachet extension
remove the head studs in the same sequence you did with the cam cap bolts
10 5 1 3 7
9 6 2 4 8

after that the head should come off good luck.

Last edited:

CH33Z3B4LL3R

is it wise to wrap two chains around the underside of a block to pull it?
im jus swapping the piston heads. do I even need to pull the motor?

mirrorimg

is it wise to wrap two chains around the underside of a block to pull it?
im jus swapping the piston heads. do I even need to pull the motor?
Use an intake stud and exhaust stud on opposing sides. That will be enough strength to pull the head off, but you should be able to take it off with just your hands.

It seems like you missed something, are you sure you have all the head bolts out?

CH33Z3B4LL3R

Use an intake stud and exhaust stud on opposing sides. That will be enough strength to pull the head off, but you should be able to take it off with just your hands.

It seems like you missed something, are you sure you have all the head bolts out?
yeah I have all 10 out. it took me 45min to get everything ready to pull the head and then 2hrs of looking it over and over. nothing obvious im wondering if the IM studs are stressing the head to where it won't budge. my friend showed me once on his car and where the head slides forward to get off the IM and then u pull it up and out.

btw any ideas on the block? do I have to pull the block to replace the pistons? I don't exactly have a book or the kno how to reassemble EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

mirrorimg

yeah I have all 10 out. it took me 45min to get everything ready to pull the head and then 2hrs of looking it over and over. nothing obvious im wondering if the IM studs are stressing the head to where it won't budge. my friend showed me once on his car and where the head slides forward to get off the IM and then u pull it up and out.

btw any ideas on the block? do I have to pull the block to replace the pistons? I don't exactly have a book or the kno how to reassemble EVERYTHING.
There are 2 dowels that align the head on the block at the back 2 bolts, but they really should do much in terms of holding the thing together. I dont quite understand about the IM studs. They have no bearing on the cylinder head/block mating. If you left the intake manifold support bracket on, that would be a problem though.

Do you have a picture of how far you are? The first time I took my motor out I took every off the head, then took the head out, and lastly pulled the block.

You can download a complete manual from hondahookup.com/manuals

BankiBoi

If the intakes are unbolted slide them back, unhook all the coolant hoses and it should pull up

Posted by Thunderbolt using tapatalk

CH33Z3B4LL3R

I only have an iPhone guys I can't download.

can somebody run out to their motor and take a pic of the dowels or something??

BankiBoi

The dowels are little cylinders bout half inch one on each side but there on the block where the head sits. Will one side come up atleast? Did remove all the head bolts I hope

Last edited:

CH33Z3B4LL3R

The dowels are little cylinders bout half inch one on each side but there on the block where the head sits. Will one side come up atleast? Did remove all the head bolts I hope

Yup got all the head bolts out but the IM support bracket is still on. I've seen a few vidz of ppl being able to pull their head off a b18 no sweat. maybe I should jus go with it and tear everything out.

BankiBoi

I never took my im off just unbolted and pushed it back. Are you getting any movement out of the head?