Charlotte (Nicks 95 GSR)

Nick_C78

As posted earlier the plan to buy a stock ITR motor was ditched. It was agreed that not using the current head would be a complete waste. So it was decided to go with a new short block only. Thanks to Tom Attacks awesome networking we tracked down a great short block.

It is a B18C1 bored to 84.5mm with Bensen Open Deck Sleeves. Came with 84.5mm Arias flat top forged pistons as well. This should be a pretty stout foundation for a new block.

The pistons were on stock rods though, but we figured now would be a good time to just upgrade those while it is already out.

We opted to go with the new Skunk2 Alpha H-Beam rods. They should be plenty strong for what will be done with this motor. Not much information was found about people using these rods, but if there are any issues it will be documented. Over all it looks like a quality product. The machine work on them is flawless.

Because the pistons were on stock rods new wrist pins and spiral clips were needed to attach the pistons to the new Skunk Rods. Elmer at Arias hooked it up with some new wrist pins and spiral clips.

Another addition to the car will be the Aim Solo. This should help me dial in my driving skills.

Decided to also pick up some Skunk2 magnetic drain plugs for the oil and transmission.

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
So yea, what's up with the Skunk2 rods? I've never heard any reviews of them but, it doesn't seem like something they have a lot of experience in.

Nick_C78

I like to live life on the edge. It appears to be quality too. Lets not forget that most pistons and rods are made by the same factories just rebadged and "machined" when they get to the states.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
How much do they weigh?

Edit: Nevermind I checked the website and they state 510g. That's pretty light for that length rod, seems like a good deal for the money.

Last edited:

Nick_C78

Advertised as 504 grams, website says 510 paper in box says 542 grams, but I have not thrown them on a scale yet.

Last edited:

Nick_C78

A bunch of OEM goodies came in today. It was decided to just replace everything and start fresh. Every single nut, bolt, gasket and o-ring will be replaced on this motor. Even the Oil dipstick, strainer, windage tray and oil pan are being replaced.

Got the pistons back from Golden Eagle. They were able to get the pistons off the stock rods without any issues.

This was the first time using Arias spiral wrist pin clips. We heard that these can be sort of a pain. It wasn't all that hard though. The trick is to stretch it out and slowly slide it in.

Once you get one side in you just flip it over, put the rod in place and the slip in the wrist pin

Then you put the spiral clip on the other side. It seems like a solid design that provides even pressure and reduced chance of falling out.

While Tom Attack had Golden Eagle remove my pistons from the stock rods he also picked up a set of Golden Eagle Oil Squirt plugs. This should raise oil pressure a little bit, but also remove the risk of them breaking off like on the last motor.

The bearings were plastigauged today, but they were between .001 and .0015, which is a little tight for what the motor will be going through. A looser bearing will be chosen to put it around the .002 range, which is more ideal for the RPM the motor is going to turn.

Here is a better picture of the sleeves of the new block.