Charlotte (Nicks 95 GSR)

Nick_C78

After a lengthy period filled with unforeseen set backs the block is finished. Ken from Golden Eagle did a great job despite all the issues. A few things changed after all the measurements were taken though and we had to adjust the game plan.

The piston to wall clearance was too loose for the pistons that came with the block, for NA that is. The pistons were a 10 year old style from Arias and they have since had an improved design. Ken tried using a newer style piston of the same bore to see if it would have a better fit. His idea was correct, but the clearance was still too loose. We decided to just up it to an 85mm bore and start fresh.

Ken hooked it up with a set of Arias' new shelf profile pistons.

The new design has a dish on the top of the dome to promote a better burn.

Another issue Ken faced was that all of the bearing clearances were too tight as well. He tried Honda, ACL, King, and even Clevite bearings of various sizes and still could not get the specs that we wanted. To solve this issue we had the mains align bored and it solved the problem.

He wrapped up the block on Monday. We are eager to see how this bad boy runs.

The new block set up is as follows:
B18C1 sleeved with RS Machine Open Deck (Darton/Benson Style) Sleeves bored to 85mm
85mm Arias Forged High Comp Pistons with Arias wrist pins and spiral clips
Skunk2 Alpha H-Beam Rods
GSR Crankshaft
ARP 2000 Rod Bolts
Baffled OEM Oil Pan

The DC2 will also be receiving a face lift soon. (An early Christmas present from the girlfriend)

As most JDM fronts it was a little rough from shipping and sitting and needs some cleaning up. The hood was the biggest problem. Although it has no dents or major paint damage it had a lot of old tape stuck to it that was hard to remove.

After spending a long time trying to peel off the tape by hand to no avail it was decided to find an alternative method.

The AES vinyl eraser wheel was the perfect tool for the job. When used with a low speed drill it works amazing at removing stuck on stuff from your paint without damaging it.

Here is the result after some slight polishing. It still needs to be machine buffed, but we will get to that later.

After the front is installed the whole car will get a proper buff until it is time to paint.

Nick_C78

Picked up the block today and decided to do a small update of some things, because all at once will be too much writing.

osiris19

Loving the progress on this. Definitely will have to out that vinyl eraser sometime.

Nick_C78

Thanks guys.

My car hasn't had 94 front for a year. I have 98.

Nick_C78

Yessir. I actually got a gurney flap for it, but I am afraid it will wreck my CF type r wing, so I got an OEM one.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Nice work Nick, you have clearly spent a lot of time and effort on your car, I bet you've learned a ton in the process! I'm sure you've inspired a few people who have come across your thread too. Wish I had a garage that I could work out of, have to do everything on the street...
- Aaron

Nick_C78

Thanks jackal.

Yeah it didn't take long either Aussie. I still need to buff it, but I am happy with it. All of the parts are a bit rough, but I couldn't complain for the price.

Nick_C78

Today was a fairly productive day. After bouncing back and forth between doing just the T bar or the T Bar and the radiator support it was decided to do neither and go with the entire thing. The reason for this was when the US and JDM front were side by side there were a lot of little differences. Many people get away with doing the bare minimum to get the font to mount up, but that is just not how things are done around here.

Started off by prepping the JDM front end to be welded on to the chassis. Basically this consisted of removing the hacked off pieces of the engine bay that were still attached to the part I needed.

There are many special bits and hole saw methods out there to doing this that supposedly make the job easier. I actually went with a basic DeWALT bit set. The cool thing about these bits-- besides being affordable-- is that they have a stepped tip which made this task incredibly easy.

Once the JDM front was ready to go on the attention was turned to the DC2. Removing the original front was a little frightening since it was unfamiliar territory. Once the point of no return was reached the second guessing came in. That soon faded though once it was removed.

Excuse the Crappy pictures. The house the car is currently stored at has very poor lighting, junk in background, and also extremely dusty.

Here is a picture of it mocked up. It is just held on by a few bolts. Final fitment and welding will be later this weekend as well as mounting up the body panels.

R13

The other asshole
Good luck is all I can say xD

I just know if I did this I'd weld it on like a half inch low or something and nothing would line up. :rolf:

Although... I never thought about the bolt method, You could just bolt it on and mock everything up, Then strip it down and weld it in place.