2000 GS-R timing belt Wearing out faster than normal

Whiteman51x

i have a 2000 gsr and i replaced the timing belt 2-3k ago, my friend showed me that it was cracked a little and looked as if it had 60k on it, but its brand new!

its installed properly, and i did the water pump and got a new tensioner, the belt isnt a cheap one, its a BAP import brand and i have never had a problem with after market belts, i jsut change them sooner then oem acura belts, car was also timed properly, ive been driving it for 3k no problems.

I remember the old belt being stretched beyond the tensioner tensioning limits though.

my friend said he heard somewhere that if your ignition timing is off it will cause it to stretch and crack? i checked my ignition timing 5-6k ago and it was spot on, doing a timing belt wont mess with the ignition timing will it? ii thought the distributer determined that... Im not sure why it looks old, it just looks dried out...

I dont have any oil leaks, my car runs silently, the belt is not frayed or missing chunks,

I am however missing the middle timing belt cover,and i live in arizona, coould this be the problem? its dusty here, but no rain or snow..... the belt is not oily either... just appears that its stretching a little? its still pliable. maybe im worrying too much?

im trying to locate a middle cover anyways, ill probably just go to acura this weekend

Last edited:

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
sounds like to me that you need to switch to a better brand

do you ever drive the hell out of your car? sometimes cheap timing belts can stretch under heavy acceleration

Whiteman51x

its cracking on the outside of the belt, the smooth side, and theyre not BIG cracks, its just rough to the touch and you can see little hairline cracks like its dried out

it dosent look like its gunna snap or anything, it just looks a bit worn for 3k miles

and ill buy an oem timing belt if you pay me the difference lol. aftermarket brands arent horrible, they may not be as amazing but they arent going to snap after 1000 miles or they wouldnt be selling them ya kno?

why are dealer parts soooo expensive? its allmost not legal haha.

i just think its my timing cover, ill put the middle one on then ill see if it gets worse, my ar runs fine, the belt isnt loose at all and dosent make noise,

and yes i rail the F*%$ out of my car every day, if it blows up, shit happens lol.

Whiteman51x

maybe over tightening the belt.
the belt has a spring on the tensioner that is set to a pre determined tension. you cannot overtighten it.

i also bought an OEM honda tensioner spring for that reason haha, i dont skimp out on EVERYTHING.