2L Ls/vtec, B17 head, good idea?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Any thoughts on taking a b18a stroked out to 2.0 bottom end and do an LS/VTEC with my B17a head. I want all motor but I heard alot of problems with the conversions. Also I'm running 10-1 compression but I'm trying to go for at least 12-1. wondering what to do. I was thinking about getting some high dome pistons and oversized valves but I don't know how honda motors hold up. I was running 13-1 in my 88 M3 but that was easy on an S14 motor.

teggyls

STREET SAMURAI
honda motors rock lol im sure if you spec it all out and build the motor right check valve clearence and all that you should be good just make sure its all working and if you have a shop build it for you make sure its a good one man but that would be a really sick combo

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
High comp in n/a b series is the way to go, 12,1 comp is pretty much a walk on the park for a vtec engine, get some cams if youre dont have them allready and some valvetrain, get you some ctr pistons, and youll be there in no time pushing 9000 rpms shifts safely and having fun doing it, but thats the mayor problem the ls/vetc set up have they might have a better torque curve but they are limited in their ability to rev high like their vtec counterparts, the limit for a stock bottom end ls/vtec is 8000 rpm and thats not very reliable if you do it regulaly, vtec rods are thicker that their ls counterparts also gsr block have oil squirters in the bearing for high rev protection also the crank is better balanced for that same reason, so for the money you will spend getting a ls bottom end running safely with their vtec couterparts you could do better with what you have right now

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Well right now some guy down here is giving me 1500 for the ls block so I think I'm going to sell it anyways, not a bad deal. I'm already hitting 9000 easy now with the head I have. I'm looking for somewhere between 10000 and 11000. I know its probabllly pointless but I love big numbers. And who doesn't want a gsr that revs above 10000. :)

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
You are going to want to make sure every part is balanced and blueprinted. At those revs any small problem means your screwed.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
It sucks around here theres no good engine builders, I have no idea where to go for a good build. I don't trust to many people working on my cars.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Going that high in rpm is pointless, unless you get some stage 4 cams some extencive tuning, like omni said some engine balancing and blue printing incluiding the cranckshaft also need and oil catch can of you dont want a dirty clogged i/m and a better oil pump like a dry sump type, yours will not last long at that rpm, also need a better i/m setup like ITBs because of the intake velocity at that rpm, yours will lose power at that range because it will create flow problems, also need a racing header either 4-2-1 with extra long collector or a 4-1 set up, so yeah 10,000 looks fun in paper but exensive work goes with it, if youre determined hey let us know

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I was looking into some twm itb's for around a grand and I'm not really worried about the head. I have that issue solved, along with the oil system. I'm just looking for a shop to do the bottom end. Someone that knows what there doing, I'd hate to have everything done and pay someone 5 grand and yea I'm sure it would be put toghether right but then I find someone else and for the same amout could have built it 10 times better.