3rd gen 4 door K swap VS GSR swap

jaspo

When I bought my car I was sure I wanted to do a GSR swap, but after looking on the local craigslist and in general. I haven't been able to sling a dead cat and not find a clean K20 for under 800. While every VTEC B18 I've found has never been less than 1500.

If say I picked up a K20, in the 500-800 dollar range. Would that swap be cheaper than just picking up a B18 and slamming it in?

94RS

No fucks given.
While the K20 may be cheaper than a GSR engine, that's just the engine for sale. You still need a whole list of parts that will end up being way more than a GSR swap, which is a direct bolt in and a few small things.

This is a 98% complete list of parts most people will need when trying to do a K-swap into a g3, should be somewhat similar to a G2 also, Parts have been divided into category's.

I keep seeing people though the Idea of a K-swap around like it's just as easy and cheap as an LS-vtec, well it's not and i would say if you are finding super cheap parts your looking at, at LEAST 3-4 thousand in swap parts that are not the motor and tranny.

ENGINE/TRANNY
-K-series engine
-K-series tranny
-K-series engine harness
-K-series charging harness
-K-series Alternator
-K-series Starter
-K-series ECU w/Kpro, or AEM ems (to disable the factory immobilizer)
-Swap Header
-Clutch
-Flywheel
-Clutch fork
-RSX Type-S Oxygen Sensor
-RSX Type-S Knock Sensor
-RSX Type-S Clutch Slave Cylinder
-RSX Type-S Half shaft
-Swap Axles
-Throttle Body
-RBC Intake Manifold (optional)
-Karcepts Throttle Body Adapter (for use with RBC)
-Engine Mounts
-Conversion Harness
-Swap clutch line

RADIATOR/COOLING
-TOP Rad Hose - EP3 Top Hose
-BOTTOM Rad Hose - 99-00 Civic Si Top Hose
-Radiator (Half from civic or full from DC5/EP3)
-Main Fan
-Fan switch
-coolant temp sensor

SHIFTER PARTS
-Karcepts Shifter mounting kit
-RSX Type-S Shifter Box
-RSX-S 02-04 Shifter Cables

FUEL SYSTEM PARTS
-Fuel Pressure Regulator
-Return Fuel Rail
-Swap/Fuel lines

POWER STEERING
-K20 PS Pump
-02-04 RSX High pressure hose
-3/8" I.D. hose

Air Conditioning
-K20 A/C pump
-Custom/swap A/C lines
-Secondary fan

MISC BOLTS/Parts
-just odds and ends that are needed to bolt stuff up

So i got most of this list originally here k20a.org although mine is slightly different as I've been piecing together one for a DC keeping AC and Power steering.

This is by no means an ends all list but it's a place to get stared for those thinking about K-swapping, If anyone sees something i'm missing let me know and I'll update.

i Hope this helps a little...

Noneed2Hate

While the K20 may be cheaper than a GSR engine, that's just the engine for sale. You still need a whole list of parts that will end up being way more than a GSR swap, which is a direct bolt in and a few small things.
yup, hence why most K-swaps have been years in progress due to the cost.

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
When I bought my car I was sure I wanted to do a GSR swap, but after looking on the local craigslist and in general. I haven't been able to sling a dead cat and not find a clean K20 for under 800. While every VTEC B18 I've found has never been less than 1500.

If say I picked up a K20, in the 500-800 dollar range. Would that swap be cheaper than just picking up a B18 and slamming it in?
Short answer: No