3rd Gen HOW-TO wire up your system

ShinsenTuner

New and fresh.
I'm looking to get a system if I get this 3rd Gen. LMK how you guys hooked up your subwoofers/amps in the trunk and how you guys wired everything. Grounding points I should use and how to run the power wires and such from the engine bay back. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

nautica_t

just buy a 4gwg full amp kit. and it'l have everything you need.
this is what i did to my friends car.

power wire with fuse holder connected to battery and just below is a rubber grommet that you can slit and pass the power wire through it. bring that wire along the inside frame rail all the way to the back and your done with teh power wire.

now the remote wire, this is used to send a 12v signal to the amps to turn them on via the head unit. just bring it along the carpet along with the power wire..
-> its good to keep power to one side that way you won't get noise interference.

now the rca's. you may be running 1 pair or 3 pairs. pending what your setup shall be. i ran 3 pairs because he amped the front speakers and the rear speakers.. so we ran the the 3 pairs of rca's along the center console towards the passenger side, but yet they are still apart from the 4gwg power wire

ground wire..there's a 14mm bolt that holds down the rear bench, thats a perfect grounding point, just remove that bolt, sand down the contact point a bit so taht there is no paint and that will act as a good solid ground point bolt it up to that and than you can run the wire to a groudn block or directly to the single amp.

now with that being said you are done with your wires and about an hour or 2 later.
now just hook it up and enjoy.

but if you're running a 4ch amp as well than this is what i did. i re-ran speakers into the doors and ran them along hte drivers side center console...that way they won't pick up any interference from the rca's. just in case anyways. and than have that hooked up to the power, remote and ground.

be creative with mounting thats up to you. i mounted them on MDF boards on the back of the seats and than had hte amps mounted on the mdf boards.

if i've missed anything or you have more questions feel free to pm or just message int eh forum. i'll check back lol

speedin

The Transporter
-next to the batt their is a hole in the firewall. run power through their.

-the power will come out right above where the passengers left foot rests.

-to help feed the wire through, taping the power wire end to a straightend wire hanger. it will be your best buddy :D

-take the kick pannel off toward the outside of the car (2 plastic clips) then put the wire under their and put the pannel back on. (passenger side holds the ecu, driver side holds the hood release)

-pry the door sills up (their just clips dont worry). then youll see a little channel (right under that hump on the inner part of the dool sill). stick the power in their

-remove the rear upper seat. (2 black plastic clips on outside of of seats, they pull out). menuver the seats so they slide out of the brackets their on.

-remove bottom cussion (1 10mm bolt)

-with all that out slip(cram) the power under the plastic pannel leading from the end of the doorsill to the backseat.

- run wire to trunk (make shure to put wire behind seatbelt and under top cussion bracket)

-now for ground, ground to a shock tower (your choice). sand around the bolt slide a ring connecter on and bolt goes back on.

- remote and rca wire you can run with your power, or if you want to avoid noise run them on the opposite side, same procedure. OORR save some serious time and splice into the power antenna wire already in the trunk. this wire gives power when stereo comes on and off.

-mounting. i screwed the amp onto the seat back. and the sub box fit perfectly behind the strut bar (hand made that mother)

-here is a pic before i mounted the amp on the back of the seat

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
nautica_t , i hate you. :lol: . guess we said the samething. i just went into much more detail about routing

teg9five

a.k.a. crabs!
i didnt remove my rear seats. i just basically tucked the wires really deep along the side of the seat. and then i ran them under the trunk carpet basically but behind the seat so its basically tucked in the seat still. and then i pulled it out through the middle of both seats so all your wires come out right in the center.

but anywho i personally mounted my amp to the back of the passenger rear seat

i know i know... my fuse is mounted in my trunk instead of near the battery... but i didnt wanna clutter the engine bay with stuff lol. ill take the risk of having to run the wire all over again if it gets fried :lol:

nautica_t

lol s'all good.
yeah you went in to detail..i figured i skip the detail part lol..
i made it as simple as posible lol..
but still teh same thing neverthless.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
speedin said:
-remove bottom cusion (2 bolts)

- remote and rca wire you can run with your power, or if you want better clarity run them on the opposite side same procedure. OORR save some serious time and splice into the power antenna wire already in the trunk. this wire gives power when stereo comes on and off.
The bottom rear seat only has 1 10mm bolt holding it. It's slightly to the right of the middle of the rear seat bottom.

Running RCA's and power wire on opposite sides of the car doesn't actually help system clarity, it help's prevent noise from entering the system. A system's actual audio signal quality will only be as good as the level of quality the head unit and amp are made to create. Noise is a separate item from the signal.

And it's a fact that cheap audio components (head unit's, amps, and even the RCA's) all by themselves (even if you execute a perfect install) can allow outside electrical interference to affect the audio signal, whereas a quality piece under the same circumstances will not allow the same influences into the signal path. This is one reason many installation joints will only install stuff that they sell.

nautica_t

TegSox said:
The bottom rear seat only has 1 10mm bolt holding it. It's slightly to the right of the middle of the rear seat bottom.

Running RCA's and power wire on opposite sides of the car doesn't actually help system clarity, it help's prevent noise from entering the system. A system's actual audio signal quality will only be as good as the level of quality the head unit and amp are made to create. Noise is a separate item from the signal.

And it's a fact that cheap audio components (head unit's, amps, and even the RCA's) all by themselves (even if you execute a perfect install) can allow outside electrical interference to affect the audio signal, whereas a quality piece under the same circumstances will not allow the same influences into the signal path. This is one reason many installation joints will only install stuff that they sell.

yes sorry i meant noise, as in the altenator whining noise.. not clarity.
but by doing this step of avoiding interference is a helpful additive to a nice system.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I'm sorry, no kick to the nuts vibe was intended. But since this thread has been made a Sticky I wanted to make sure the info is as clear and accurate as possible.
When the responses to this thread die down, it will be cleaned up, so please don't be offended if your post is edited or deleted. We want our stickies looking GOOD! :D

speedin

The Transporter
TegSox said:
I'm sorry, no kick to the nuts vibe was intended. But since this thread has been made a Sticky I wanted to make sure the info is as clear and accurate as possible.
When the responses to this thread die down, it will be cleaned up, so please don't be offended if your post is edited or deleted. We want our stickies looking GOOD! :D
eh i think interferance and clarity is about the same imo. both make it sound worse. i mean if your adding interferance/noise into a sound it wont sound as good/clear/crisp/nice. what ever word you like to use. 1 word tho IDGAF ill change it. oh and as for the bolt. cut me some slack :lol: dont even own a teg anymore. been about a good 6 months since ive had to take a tegs seat out

Last edited:

ShinsenTuner

New and fresh.
Thanks guys :)

I was wondering also, what brand wiring kit are you guys using? I might get a four channel amp and was wondering if there was a good cheap way to wire it... but i dont want alot of static or anything of that matter.

speedin

The Transporter
ShinsenTuner said:
Thanks guys :)

I was wondering also, what brand wiring kit are you guys using? I might get a four channel amp and was wondering if there was a good cheap way to wire it... but i dont want alot of static or anything of that matter.
i just use typhoon (i think) wires

mienboiracer209

just get the wiring kit from wal-mart...i dont see the difference between those and the rockford fosgates @ bestbuy, besides the price...i've used the wiring kit on my civic (sold, miss her), integra, & my bro's integra...

ShinsenTuner

New and fresh.
ok.. cool.

I need to know what kind of Amp to get now... I dont have alot of money of course....... and my subs have these specs.
Power Range: 50-250 watts RMS, 750 watt Peak
4ohm..

what kind do i get?