89 Integra RS - 1.6L Auto - !NEED HELP!

xjtl06x

Bought a 1989 Acura Integra RS 1.6L with 4 speed Automatic and 150K on the motor.

Guy that i bought it from treated this awesome car like sh**; so i'm in the process of doing some restore! :) i picked the car up for 400$ and it had some issures - harsh shifting through gears and it sat for a while - wasn't to worried looking for a nice little project anyway.

this is my issue i know all 4 gears work; but recently (from 12/6 - 12/17) the car doesn't want to shift into 4th anymore barely shifts into 3rd. mainly looking to see if you guys have any repair info or if i going to have to rebuild or buy a new one.

love this car want to make it prestine again - any help would be awesome! thanks guys!

tyeteg

I don't know off the top of my head, I have an 88 manual. But check out G1teg.org lots of guys over there with tons of info and totally dedicated to our cars

enoch723

Dont even bother. In the long run any auto tranny will give you more problems then a 5 speed. i recommend just doing a transmission swap.It will be hard and time consuming but your car will last so much longer.

Give you an example, I got to a few different pick-n-pulls pretty frequently and The VERY few times I see 86-89 Integra's every single one of them is an automatic.

My 88 is a manual with 185k and still has the stock clutch and everything. On the other hand my 87 that I just got rid of was automatic with 200k and had every receipt from the first owner(I was the second) from transmission flushing, oil changes, and even tires changes. Lol. Transmission started slipping around 200k

Another common problem with the first gen's is the main relay under the dash starts to go out around 200k too. Not always though but it seems to be common. On top of that the exhaust system starts to sag and rattles horribly bad around 150k.

In comparison to other cars these common problems are petty. I plan on keeping my 88 as long as I can after seeing how great these cars car.

Congrats on the find man. Hope everything works out