Anyone else have a Kenwood deck...

Sammich

and hate it?!?

i have a 528 or a 628..w/e the POS is...first off, before the 'real issues' started...i couldnt play my deck at the volume of 28+ w/o it eventually fading, me having to turn it down for a couple minutes and turn it back up for it to play normally.

then it got to the point where if i had it at 28+ it'd just shut off and cut right back on. i kind of 'corrected' this issue, or so i thought by removing the 10a and putting a 20 a fuse back there..worked for a month or so

now it just doesnt play.....i tried putting a 25a fuse back there, nothing, so i clipped a paperclip and put it down there instead...by this time i realized that the fuse portion had alot of play and figured it wasnt making enough connection...worked for about 25 minutes and shut off even playing w/ the paperclip it'd shut off again. so last night, i got a reg size fuse, 30a, clipped it up, and shoved that motherfuker in there...tried it this morning, no go...tonight when i get home, i'm going to clip a paperclip wide and narrow and see if that works to buy me more time, cuz the recent purchases, rent, etc have eliminated me trying to purchase one this week.

i just want to know if anyone has dealt w/ this POS deck issue before or am i the sole mcasshole that's dealt w/ it

cody1018

Ive always hated any kenwood deck, they make decent Amps but the decks are SHIT I've had nothing but problems with them.. Go with Alpine, they're alot better

goofygamer

I've read many threads that says to not go higher than the recommended fuse size. It'll do more harm than good I think. I've had that same issue of the whole deck turning off when i turn up the volume, when I first bought my car and it came with an alpine deck. So, I decided to direct the speaker power elsewhere and bought and amplifier. That solved the problem.

Then, I have the issue of my deck turning off randomly at times. I've been researching it for the past two years and the only way people have solved the problem is by:

1st: checking if the stereo grounding is connected or at the right spot. If the ground is perfectly fine, then,

2nd: rewire the power from the stereo, straight to your positive battery terminal and connect a 15amp fuse between that wire. So don't connect the power wire to the stock harness but directly to the battery, with a fuse between the wire.

I haven't done this yet. I've replaced my alpine deck with my kenwood excelon deck and love it so much more. No issues with the deck at all. Sometimes, the issue of my deck turning off randomly happens, but that's my cars fault and not the deck. If all else fails, then, you can replace the deck since it might be getting old lol or you can try one someone else's deck first to see if that fixes your problem.

Sammich

I was going to go w/ a Pioneer actually...i found one on ebay a while back but decided not to get it because my deck started acting ok again, so i figured i'd save teh money. but it had usb/ipod, bluetooth (stream music and phone) cd/mp3 of course built in for like just over $100

Sammich

I've read many threads that says to not go higher than the recommended fuse size. It'll do more harm than good I think. I've had that same issue of the whole deck turning off when i turn up the volume, when I first bought my car and it came with an alpine deck. So, I decided to direct the speaker power elsewhere and bought and amplifier. That solved the problem.

Then, I have the issue of my deck turning off randomly at times. I've been researching it for the past two years and the only way people have solved the problem is by:

1st: checking if the stereo grounding is connected or at the right spot. If the ground is perfectly fine, then,

2nd: rewire the power from the stereo, straight to your positive battery terminal and connect a 15amp fuse between that wire. So don't connect the power wire to the stock harness but directly to the battery, with a fuse between the wire.

I haven't done this yet. I've replaced my alpine deck with my kenwood excelon deck and love it so much more. No issues with the deck at all. Sometimes, the issue of my deck turning off randomly happens, but that's my cars fault and not the deck. If all else fails, then, you can replace the deck since it might be getting old lol or you can try one someone else's deck first to see if that fixes your problem.
at this point, it's definitely teh deck...i'm doing w/e i can right now to have music and not be listening to it straight off my phone..shit is horrible LMAO. but when i had the pioneer deck in my maxima, i never had one ounce of problem..this kenwood, on the USB problem alone, certain files wouldnt show up on it on my kenwood, but on my pioneer in the maxima, it'd show up everytime w/o a glitch

goofygamer

My uncle might have a Pioneer deck he's looking to sell, if you're interested. I think it's the Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

R13

The other asshole
I have a Kenwood KDC-419 in my camaro, No complaints, It sounds really good, Doesn't skip or cut out, I don't know about the newer ones though.

Sammich

yea...all kenwood decks i've had have had similar problems, i just never had them long enough for the problems to go this far

My uncle might have a Pioneer deck he's looking to sell, if you're interested. I think it's the Pioneer DEH-P5100UB
appreicate the offer, looked it up, i have to have an 'exterior' component for the bluetooth on the phone to work, thanks though.

dark3630

I work in car audio at Best Buy and try to keep people away from the Kenwood radios. They're the only ones I consistently hear complaints about, and I've yet to see one I really like.

I've personally stuck with Pioneer for all my head units. Never had a problem with them.

Sent from my Samsung S3

Last edited:

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
kenwood receivers dont last... the last 2 failed on me after a couple years. eventually stopped playing CDs or stopped working.

btw, try swapping out the kenwood harness. sometimes there's too much tension and a wire is pulled out.

Penten

Ive always hated any kenwood deck, they make decent Amps but the decks are s*** I've had nothing but problems with them.. Go with Alpine, they're alot better
^^^^ This You May Not Get As Many Features But You Can Normally Get The Basics Like AUX/USB/Pandora In Most Head Units And By Far The Best Unit I've Ever Had. I Also Use To Be A Pioneer Guy And They Do Have Good Pruduct But Alpine Is Just Simply Better8)

Sammich

kenwood receivers dont last... the last 2 failed on me after a couple years. eventually stopped playing CDs or stopped working.

btw, try swapping out the kenwood harness. sometimes there's too much tension and a wire is pulled out.
mine is definitely in the fuse portion. besides i'm done fighting this deck...i'd crash it on the concrete if i had my new deck here already, but...yea lol :lol:

^^^^ This You May Not Get As Many Features But You Can Normally Get The Basics Like AUX/USB/Pandora In Most Head Units And By Far The Best Unit I've Ever Had. I Also Use To Be A Pioneer Guy And They Do Have Good Pruduct But Alpine Is Just Simply Better8)
i've never been a real fan of alpine unless it's the most expensive one...go figure LOL. the higher end one just looks better/cleaner. Pioneer i think u can get more for your money

Nadistopher

I haven't done this yet. I've changed my downhill outdoor patio with my kenwood excelon outdoor patio and really like it so much more. No problems with the outdoor patio at all. Sometimes, the issue of my outdoor patio switching off arbitrarily happens, but that's my vehicles mistake and not the outdoor patio. If all else is not able, then, you can substitute the outdoor patio since it might be getting old lol or you can try one an individual's outdoor patio first to see if that repairs your issue. . . . . . . . . . . . . .