April's Build Thread

j13

Keep It Clean
Does anyone know why that when I accelerate really hard the check engline light comes on and when I shut it off and turn it back on the lights gone?
when you mash out, something is malfunctioning, when you kill the ignition, you're simply resetting the computer, which will turn the CEL off. sounds like distributor issues, maybe TDC sensor or Crank Angle Sesor. It can be many things. pull the code, let us know wussup

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
From rice to nice. I like it. Keep up the good work.

speedin

The Transporter
My oil smells burnt! wtf is that!?!?!
When is the last time you changed it? And what oil are you using?

If you pull the oil cap off after the car has been running it will smell burnt and you can get little bits of smoke sometimes too. Thats normal on an older car if thats what you did.

msaprildawn

When is the last time you changed it? And what oil are you using?

If you pull the oil cap off after the car has been running it will smell burnt and you can get little bits of smoke sometimes too. Thats normal on an older car if thats what you did.
I changed it about 2000 miles ago. I'm using just pennzoil 5-30. When the old oil came out, it smelt burnt so bad and it was all black!!!

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
I changed it about 2000 miles ago. I'm using just pennzoil 5-30. When the old oil came out, it smelt burnt so bad and it was all black!!!
use 10w-30 and see if that helps. You need a little bit heavier weight for the integra. 5-30 wont cut it from my experience.

speedin

The Transporter
Did you change the filter as well? And did you change the oil while it was hot?

Oil is meant to darken as it collects carbon and other things that shouldnt be hanging around your engine. Its not JUST a lubricant. So really a dark oil just means its doing its job. Now some oil brands darken faster than others, typically non-synthetics darken quickly vs synthetics. You can try another oil brand (im not a fan of pennzoil) like Castrol.

Just remembered your car is boosted.... switch to a different oil, ideally something synthetic like Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge. The turbo really cooks oil and the cheaper stuff cant take the heat well. Add that to an older engine and that could be a big part of your problem.

Oh and p.s. your crankcase ventilation system isnt helping this situation either. Basically all your blow-by is lingering in your crankcase with just that filter on there. The oil will absorb the carbon in that blow-by and darken quickly. You need to get a PCV system back installed to pull that blow-by out of the crankcase.

So cliffs.....

1: Oils do normally darken
2: Some brands faster than others
3: You should be running a full synthetic due to the turbo's heat
4: You need a PCV system

Last edited: