b16 or b18?

buy the cheaper b16 or get the gsr?

• Total voters

Sirfallsalot243

DC2Integ said:
Then why would Honda put them in the G2's in the first place ?
Same reason they put it into the 99-00 Civic SI. Bad decision. The only thing that makes up for the B16's gutless design is its incredibly short geared transmission. The only car (IMO) that a B16 belongs in is an EF, G1, or Del Sol. The 2700lb G2 and Civic SI was a bad decision.

B18TEG

BLACK DA
they should have made a b20c1 and put that in all tegs.. .. . . period end of story. 1.8l is so puny compared to the 2.4l of diplacement offred by almost all the other manufacturers. i think if they could have gone bigger and maintained their designs we wouldnt be so quick to swap out everything all the time. but thats my comment on this i guess. just felt a rant in me and had to let it out.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
And that is why they now have the K20 and K24.

iNOhc

Super Registered User
Sirfallsalot243 said:
Type R specs:

Block: The block is almost identical as the B18C1 block. It shares many of the same qualities, but with a bit more bracing. On the inside are different pistons that yeild a higher compression ratio. The rods are lighter, and the crank is heavier. The crank is heavier to make it more stable under high load and high RPM conditions. On the outside is a different clutch and flywheel.

Head: The head is an exact casting of the B16 head. This is (rumored) to be because Honda made too many of the B16 heads, and decided to use that. Whatever the reasoning, both heads are stamped PR3. But this is where the similarities end. The ITR head is hand ported and polished, and has lighter valves to put less strain on the upgraded valvesprings that come in it. It also has larger lift cams, as many of you know. The ITR head also has a better intake manifold and a larger throttle body.

While the B16 and ITR heads do share the same castings, slapping a B16 head on a GSR block will not get you any horsepower. As I already stated, this would simply move the powerband up, due to the single stage intake manifold, versus the GSR's dual stage. You would also need to bump the compression a bit- be it pistons, head milling, or a thinner head gasket. The returns are not worth the $500 investment. Your money would be better spent on a Rage 4-2-1 Tri-Y header. A true poormans Type-R would be a ported B16 head on a B18C1 block, with all ITR internals.
dopeness!.. "so please! Club Integra, pimp my ride!" .. for some reason that popped in my head.. haha

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Sirfallsalot243 said:
:lol:

Boring it out to 87mm would create an engine with a ~10k mile lifespan. Even if it were sleeved, the paper thin sleeves would crack under NATURALLY ASPIRATED use, much less boosted! 84mm is about as large as I'd recommend for a boosted B.
Actually 87mm has proven to hold up quite well with a good set off sleeves, the problem is people stroking there motors to much, thats where most of the trouble has been found.

Sirfallsalot243

Aussie said:
Actually 87mm has proven to hold up quite well with a good set off sleeves, the problem is people stroking there motors to much, thats where most of the trouble has been found.
Still not a risk id be willing to take. If something ever happens and it needs to be rebuilt, you cant bore it out 1/4mm or anything. It would need to be resleeved.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Oh I know thats why you make sure you got money to play with before you do things like that.

k624ash

update:

i found a gsr motor for $1000 it has 65,000 miles. everything included, full harness

w00t, im excited

Sirfallsalot243

k624ash said:
update:

i found a gsr motor for $1000 it has 65,000 miles. everything included, full harness

w00t, im excited
Good price. Mine had 72k on it and i got it for $800, but I commonly see them going for $1500. Make sure you fo a leak down test on it before handing over any cash.

Winki

Undercover mod
Sirfallsalot243 said:
Good price. Mine had 72k on it and i got it for $800, but I commonly see them going for $1500. Make sure you fo a leak down test on it before handing over any cash.
yes check it out first. but there is alway an ls turbo option

k624ash

Winki said:
yes check it out first. but there is alway an ls turbo option
yea, the thing is though, my ls motor is in pretty poor shape, so i would have to rebuild it or buy a new one. however for only a little bit more money than it would cost for a new ls motor, and for less than it woud cost to rebuild it, i can buy a gsr motor.

oh and btw its a jdm motor

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
k624ash said:
yea, the thing is though, my ls motor is in pretty poor shape, so i would have to rebuild it or buy a new one. however for only a little bit more money than it would cost for a new ls motor, and for less than it woud cost to rebuild it, i can buy a gsr motor.

oh and btw its a jdm motor
Dude you can get an LS for around 500, well i'm selling one for that, but if you can get a gsr in good shape for 1500 go for it. How many miles are on you ls?

k624ash

Aussie said:
Dude you can get an LS for around 500, well i'm selling one for that, but if you can get a gsr in good shape for 1500 go for it. How many miles are on you ls?
im gettin a gsr in good shape for 1000

my car has 180,000 miles on it. but ive only had it for a little over a year, so i dont know the history, if it was replaced or rebuilt or anything.